Resuming master to main branch migration for infra/infra repo. Creating the main branch on March 8th.

Normando Rosas

Mar 3, 2021, 5:06:06 PM3/3/21
to mainbranch...@chromium.org

Bcc: infra-a...@chromium.org

tl;dr The Chops Source team will resume infra/infra git master to main branch migration. More specifically, we will create the new main branch on March 8th.

Hi Chrome Infra,

Last November we did a first attempt to migrate but we had to rollback due to issues with autorollers, trybots, and votes within open CLs. All of these issues have already been fixed. Moreover, we have streamlined our migration approach, reducing the number of stages, and made it more flexible, resilient and simple in case of rollback.

Here is a brief description of the new/remaining stages along with the ETAs for each:

  • Legacy state. This is the current state, i.e. the main branch does not exist.

  • Main branch is created. [3/8]. Main branch is created, and master is kept in sync with it. CLs will start to be sent and submitted to main. New git clones will have main as their default branch. All existing CLs will be moved from master to main. CLs are still accepted in the master branch, but are redirected to main on upload.

  • Master branch is stale/temporarily deleted. [3/22]. The purpose of this stage is to detect if there are more tools that need to be fixed. If that is the case the master branch is restored and synced to main, and we revert to the previous step.

  • Master branch deleted. [TBD].

Should you find any issues during the migration  you can contact us submitting a bug here or at mainbranch...@chromium.org

To learn more about how this migration is being done,  refer to:

Regards, Gavin, Josip  and Norman on behalf of the ChOps Source team.

Normando Rosas

Mar 8, 2021, 3:32:18 PM3/8/21
to mainbranch...@chromium.org

Bcc: infra-a...@chromium.org

Hi Chrome Infra,

New main branch has been created and HEAD points to it for infra/infra repo. You should start making changes to your tools and services to point to main too. We will start delaying the master branch (currently being kept in sync with main) on Monday, March 22nd to help detect any other tools that need to be fixed.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/infra-announce/CAM6u63GZkE4qD1CcH2ukGjoVRhHwpgWciJ7OsfExbrE_4FQpMQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Normando Rosas

Mar 19, 2021, 2:01:06 PM3/19/21
to mainbranch...@chromium.org

Bcc: infra-a...@chromium.org

Hi Chrome Infra,

As most of you already know, the Chrome Operations Source team has been working on the infra/infra master to main git branch migration. See project plan for more details.

This is a heads-up about Master branch being stale/temporarily deleted on Monday, March 22nd. The purpose of this stage is to detect if there are more tools that need to be fixed. If that is the case the master branch will be restored and synced to main.

Should you find any issues during this event please reach out by submitting a bug here or at mainbranch...@chromium.org

Best,