Native access to ChromeOS/Chromebook device info and running application as service?

David Luu

Mar 26, 2021, 2:31:00 PM3/26/21
to Chromium OS Development
Hi, I am looking into whether it is possible to build an app for ChromeOS/Chromebook that:
  • runs like a background service sending data to the cloud
  • sends Chromebook device IP address to the cloud
  • sends Chromebook model & ChromeOS version info to the cloud

This is for what can be considered an enterprise network troubleshooting & inventory management app, that could be say deployed by Mobile Device Management (MDM) infrastructure.

When I helped a colleague with this R&D, found that the Android side of ChromeOS does not expose the real device IP address nor hostname. The OS version reported is Android but there appeared to be a build environment variable that could be read to get the ChromeOS version. The model returned wasn't ideal to distinguish a Chromebook either being a "Google Pixel Slate".

I'm not too familiar with ChromeOS/Chromebook development and there doesn't appear to be much documentation for it, and the Android support does are generic and do not provide explicit info on what you don't actually get from Android on ChromeOS.

So I'm just wondering whether anyone knows if there's a way to build the type of app above that I mention using native Chrome development (is there such a thing?) or the Linux side/support of ChromeOS (which I have't yet looked into), since we know it's not possible on the Android side. For native Chrome development came across some info on the "Native Client" but which will be dropped from support soon.

Mike Frysinger

Mar 26, 2021, 6:19:27 PM3/26/21
to David Luu, Chromium OS Development
CrOS already has integrated enterprise telemetry & management available for admins who enroll their devices

the only APIs that extensions have access to are documented here:

generally speaking, by design, extensions don't get access to most device-specific info because they don't need it.
-mike

David Luu

Mar 26, 2021, 7:05:53 PM3/26/21
to Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS Development
Thanks Mike, can you point me to where I can find more info on the "integrated enterprise telemetry" for admins that enroll devices for.