xHE-AAC/AVIF/H.265 HEVC/HEIF support on ChromeOS?

Dymitr

Feb 7, 2023, 11:44:06 PM2/7/23
to ChromiumOS Development
Hello.

Is there are some solution which can help to run xHE-AAC locally (aka some codecs)?
As I know, it is supported starting Android P and already present in chrome code.

So far – no solution for native AVIF support, right?

H.265 HEVC/HEIF are already supported in Android, but why not in the Chrome OS?

Is there are some kind of “media codec pack” like on Ubuntu?
Or it is easier to use a third party solution?

P.S.: using MX Player + QuickPic for now. My fresh Chromebook supports even AV1 natively with hardware acceleration, so the question is only in codecs for other formats…

P.P.S.: Yep, I red about Linux enviroment: "Hardware acceleration isn't yet supported, including GPU and video decode"...

Xiaohan Wang (王消寒)

Feb 8, 2023, 10:46:56 AM2/8/23
to Dymitr, media-dev, ChromiumOS Development

Dale Curtis

Feb 8, 2023, 4:08:05 PM2/8/23
to Xiaohan Wang (王消寒), Dymitr, media-dev, ChromiumOS Development
- Some ChromeOS devices have HEVC support these days, but it varies per device.
- There are no plans for HEIF support in Chrome.
- There are no plans for xHE-AAC support on ChromeOS.

- dale