does anyone care about their $USER inside the SDK ?

Mike Frysinger

Feb 9, 2023, 4:31:34 PM2/9/23
to chromium-os-dev
today we sync $USER from outside the SDK into the non-root account inside the SDK.  this can sometimes lead to conflicts if the $USER outside the SDK happens to be one of the many (and growing) account names that we use in CrOS.

so for the sake of simplicity, i'm thinking we should hardcode this value.  does anyone have concerns about breaking their flows ?

NB: for now, this is only about the $USER value, not the UID value.  that is a diff topic.
-mike

Benjamin Gordon

Feb 9, 2023, 5:31:15 PM2/9/23
to Mike Frysinger, chromium-os-dev
I think it's a good idea to standardize the username, but I know a lot of people keep stuff inside $HOME in the chroot.  We should make sure this gets migrated into the new user somehow.

Benjamin

Matthew Blecker

Feb 9, 2023, 6:24:49 PM2/9/23
to Benjamin Gordon, Mike Frysinger, chromium-os-dev
+1 to understanding the impact on $HOME, if any.

Will this change affect existing chroots, or only newly created ones?

Will $HOME path be changed?  If so, and existing chroots will be affected, will my existing homedir contents remain present e.g. via symlink or mount or dir rename?

Will the homedir of $USER still be $HOME?

Will $LOGNAME and any other variables that usually match $USER be updated too, or remain as-is?