Starting docker using dev_install/emerge/etc.

Eric Curtin

Feb 29, 2024, 9:06:12 AMFeb 29
to ChromiumOS Development
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to start docker from the base OS of ChromeOS, not from the
crosvm->lxc environment (I want to poke at some lower level details, happy to risk breakage of device).

I got as far as:

emerge --ark --verbose dev-go/docker

seemed to install fine. I'm sure I can hack something together with
some effort but does anyone know the best way of starting the docker
daemon, getting docker running, etc.?

Is mise le meas/Regards,

Eric Curtin

Denny Lockhart

Feb 29, 2024, 11:07:40 AMFeb 29
to ChromiumOS Development, Eric Curtin
Eric,

I'm not sure that dev_install is still maintained.

You might want to take a look at chromebrew, it has docker and a lot more:
~DennyL

Mike Frysinger

Feb 29, 2024, 4:24:43 PMFeb 29
to Denny Lockhart, ChromiumOS Development, Eric Curtin
dev_install is supported, but it doesn't automate/help with init script or rootfs modifications.  that's left to the user.
-mike

Eric Curtin

Mar 1, 2024, 1:11:00 PMMar 1
to Mike Frysinger, Denny Lockhart, ChromiumOS Development
Thanks for the pointers guys, it seems like both repos don't have a
e2e solution for this yet (maybe I should help).

I think podman might be simpler than docker as you don't have to set
up daemons, but podman install also failed for me.

What I really want to do is execute a qemu-system-aarch64 binary with
kvm acceleration as the root user.

I think if I use a cheap Fedora chroot that might be enough.

Is mise le meas/Regards,

Eric Curtin