Building and Deploying ChromeOS Remotely

Casey Borders

Oct 1, 2021, 11:27:31 AM10/1/21
to Chromium OS Development
Hello!

I'm new to ChromeOS development and I'm building the OS on my gLinux workstation and trying to deploy it to the Chromebook but I am not at my desk. I'm working remotely so I'm ssh-ing into my workstation from my Macbook. The only instructions that I can find assume that you are able to push the build to a USB drive that is connected to your machine but that's not possible for me. I have seen some instructions for installing over SSH but have been told that the initial flash much be USB. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Frysinger

Oct 1, 2021, 11:32:38 AM10/1/21
to Casey Borders, Chromium OS Development
the initial flash doesn't have to be over USB, but you would need to either have SSH or local physical access to the DUT (device under test, i.e. your Chromebook)

depending on what you're developing or working on, maybe using a VM would suffice.  then there would be no image deploy involved.
-mike

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 11:27 AM 'Casey Borders' via Chromium OS Development <chromiu...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hello!

I'm new to ChromeOS development and I'm building the OS on my gLinux workstation and trying to deploy it to the Chromebook but I am not at my desk. I'm working remotely so I'm ssh-ing into my workstation from my Macbook. The only instructions that I can find assume that you are able to push the build to a USB drive that is connected to your machine but that's not possible for me. I have seen some instructions for installing over SSH but have been told that the initial flash much be USB. Any help would be appreciated.

Casey Borders

Oct 1, 2021, 11:34:34 AM10/1/21
to Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS Development
I do have physical access to the DUT, I do NOT have physical access to the build machine. A link to doing an initial push over SSH would be very helpful.

Google Logo
Casey Borders
Software Engineer | ChromeOS Gaming
CaseyB...@google.com

🔵 Blue Dot Ally

Phillip Pearson

Oct 1, 2021, 3:31:26 PM10/1/21
to Casey Borders, Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS Development
 Hi Casey!

The usual thing to do here is to rsync the image file from your remote build machine (if it's volteer-borealis and you're building in ~/chromiumos, the image file is ~/chromiumos/src/build/images/volteer-borealis/latest/chromiumos_test_image.bin) down to your Mac, then use the Chromebook Recovery Utility extension to write it to a USB flash drive (click the settings icon and "Use local image" rather than telling it your model number), then proceed with the USB flash instructions (put device in developer mode, ctrl-F2, root, enable_dev_usb_boot, reboot, boot from external drive, log in as root/test0000, chromeos-install).  After that, you'll have SSH access, and you can use a reverse tunnel to make `cros flash` work for future updates.

I'm not aware of any way to do the initial push over SSH, as developer mode by itself (i.e. with a normal CrOS image, not a test image) doesn't seem to have SSH set up.  If anyone here has a link to info on how to do that, I'd be very interested too!

Cheers,
Phil

---
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to chromium-os-d...@chromium.org.

David Riley

Oct 1, 2021, 7:31:21 PM10/1/21
to Phillip Pearson, Casey Borders, Mike Frysinger, Chromium OS Development
You should be able to dd the image from your Mac to a USB drive too and follow the rest of Phil's instructions.

I've not tried this before, but it looks like there are some instructions to get ssh via dev mode:

Assuming that works and you've got ssh access to the device, cros flash should work.

Mike Frysinger

Oct 1, 2021, 7:53:59 PM10/1/21
to Phillip Pearson, Casey Borders, Chromium OS Development
the oobe flow has options for turning on ssh and such when you're in dev mode.
-mike