running podman

Buck Evan

Oct 20, 2023, 8:49:16 PM10/20/23
to ChromiumOS Development
I see that docker works, but I haven't had any luck with podman despite hours of debugging. Is this something that should work?

The cause seems to be that the "pids" cgroup controller isn't made available:

```
$ podman run hello-world
Error: OCI runtime error: the requested cgroup controller `pids` is not available

$ cat "/sys/fs/cgroup/user.slice/user-$(id -u).slice/user@$(id -u).service/cgroup.controllers"
(no output)
```

I've followed the relevant FAQ in podman's troubleshooting guide, but there's no change in behavior.

[1] https://github.com/containers/podman/blob/main/troubleshooting.md#26-running-containers-with-resource-limits-fails-with-a-permissions-error

Eric Curtin

Feb 9, 2024, 3:58:25 PMFeb 9
to ChromiumOS Development, Buck Evan
I encountered some podman issues, not typing on my Chromebook at the moment, but I noticed there's Debian 12 repos for this ChromeOS Linux environment also. So in my case when I just upgraded the Debian environment, podman just worked. The version of podman on Debian 11 is old: