Changing word-break-match-left in Terminal

Robbie McElrath

Nov 8, 2023, 2:59:07 PM11/8/23
to chromium-hterm
Hello!

Is there a way to change word-break-match-left/word-break-match-right in Terminal like there is in the extension? The settings page doesn't seem to expose all of the options. For context, I use tmux with vertical lines between panes (U+2502), and it gets selected when I double click on a path, which I'd like to change.

Mike Frysinger

Nov 8, 2023, 3:01:33 PM11/8/23
to Robbie McElrath, chromium-hterm
Terminal does not support this.  unfortunately its UI/settings follows the Chrome/GNOME philosophy of "less is more".
-mike

On Thu, Nov 9, 2023 at 1:44 AM 'Robbie McElrath' via chromium-hterm <chromiu...@chromium.org> wrote:
Hello!

Is there a way to change word-break-match-left/word-break-match-right in Terminal like there is in the extension? The settings page doesn't seem to expose all of the options. For context, I use tmux with vertical lines between panes (U+2502), and it gets selected when I double click on a path, which I'd like to change.

Robbie McElrath

Nov 8, 2023, 4:55:16 PM11/8/23
to Mike Frysinger, chromium-hterm
That's unfortunate. Would changing the default value to exclude unicode box drawing characters be reasonable?

Jason Lin

Nov 8, 2023, 7:38:57 PM11/8/23
to Robbie McElrath, Mike Frysinger, chromium-hterm
Hi Robbie, I think you can also let tmux handle mouse events (e.g. `set -g mouse on` in tmux config). I think in this case it will also automatically copy the selection with the OSC52 sequence.

--
Best,
Jason Lin

Robbie McElrath

Nov 13, 2023, 1:40:57 PM11/13/23
to Jason Lin, Mike Frysinger, chromium-hterm
That does mostly fix selection (with some word-separators tweaks), but the pane switching on click behavior is problematic for me. I wish they hadn't made mouse support all-or-nothing.

It would be nice if Terminal could use the same word break behavior as other common terminals like gnome-terminal/iterm/macos terminal, but I'm sure there are people that have gotten used to the current behavior as well so changing it might not be easy.

I think the best fix for me is to just use the extension and customize word-break-match-*.