banner exchange / Broken pipe issue (Windows 10, Chrome v117, Secure Shell 0.59)

Amber Yust

Oct 5, 2023, 2:34:30 PM10/5/23
to chromium-hterm
After the v117 Chrome update and the 0.59 Secure Shell update, I'm seeing the following behavior when trying to use Secure Shell to connect (using an existing connection configuration that verifiably worked fine in the past):

secure_shell_failure.png

This happens with multiple different hosts / IPs, whereas connecting via another SSH client from the same computer works fine, so it doesn't appear to be a network issue. The console has the following error:

chrome-extension://iodihamcpbpeioajjeobimgagajmlibd/html/nassh.html?promptOnReload=yes&#profile-id:26cf:1 Unchecked runtime.lastError: net::ERR_SOCKET_NOT_CONNECTED

Secure Shell's Mosh implementation had also started failing differently with recent updates - the connection dialogue would open, but when selecting Connect, the result would just be a black window with no text at all; the console had the following error:

mosh_window.html:1 Unchecked runtime.lastError: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.

Any idea what's going on here?

~Amber

Felix Abecassis

Oct 6, 2023, 2:20:14 PM10/6/23
to chromium-hterm, Amber Yust
I'm facing the same issue on Windows 10 and Windows 11 from my home network. The connection usually works for 1 minute - 10 minutes before crashing with the same error than you.
I also confirmed that ssh is stable to the same hosts when using the native ssh.exe and when using ssh under WSL.

Amber Yust

Oct 12, 2023, 5:23:31 PM10/12/23
to Felix Abecassis, chromium-hterm
As a further update - I'm seeing some interesting behavior when repeatedly select the "reconnect" option in Secure Shell after it fails to connect - perhaps 1 in 10 times, it'll get so far as to prompting for the ssh key password, and then after entering it, give the broken pipe message. About 9/10 times it won't even get that far, and will just immediately give the broken pipe error before even asking for the key password.

Andrew P.

Oct 12, 2023, 10:41:57 PM10/12/23
to chromium-hterm, amber...@gmail.com, chromium-hterm, Felix Abecassis
I'm seeing the same issue, since the 0.59 update. It disconnects frequently, and has become unuseable for me. It had worked for years prior to that without issues.

Rick Vasquez

Oct 27, 2023, 2:24:44 PM10/27/23
to chromium-hterm, Andrew P., amber...@gmail.com, chromium-hterm, Felix Abecassis
Can confirm that this is an issue for me on all platforms in chrome 117+ and secure shell 0.59 (linux, mac, windows 10/11)

Maciej Żenczykowski

Oct 27, 2023, 5:40:25 PM10/27/23
to Rick Vasquez, chromium-hterm, Andrew P., amber...@gmail.com, Felix Abecassis
Does this happen to only a specific server (ie. try others)?
I'm not seeing issues and I basically live in (chrome os) secure shell sessions (to Linux boxes)...

Amber Yust

Oct 27, 2023, 6:03:21 PM10/27/23
to Felix Abecassis US, chromium-hterm, Maciej Żenczykowski, Andrew P., Felix Abecassis, Rick Vasquez
Yes, ChromeOS is the outlier. The extension works there (unlike the app), but is broken on all other OSes.

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023, 14:43 Felix Abecassis US <fabec...@nvidia.com> wrote:
Yes, it happens on all Linux servers I've tried connecting to (from Windows 10 / 11).

Maciej Żenczykowski

Oct 27, 2023, 6:12:02 PM10/27/23
to Amber Yust, Felix Abecassis US, chromium-hterm, Andrew P., Felix Abecassis, Rick Vasquez
So I tried on my Linux laptop (from within Chrome 118 of course), and I'm not seeing issues there either...
How often is it?  I tried ~20 connects to a Fedora server - no problem.
I've had a pair of shell session running with a ping in them (so they're not idle) for ~15 minutes also with no issues.

Felix Abecassis

Oct 27, 2023, 6:58:19 PM10/27/23
to chromium-hterm, Maciej Żenczykowski, Felix Abecassis US, chromium-hterm, Andrew P., Felix Abecassis, Rick Vasquez, Amber Yust
It might happen after 10 seconds or 20 minutes, but it will always happen eventually.

Rick Vasquez

Oct 27, 2023, 9:54:27 PM10/27/23
to Felix Abecassis, chromium-hterm, Maciej Żenczykowski, Felix Abecassis US, Andrew P., Amber Yust
Sometimes I can’t even connect to servers for 10-15 minutes sometimes it’ll connect and disconnect frequently while working. Other times it’ll work fine for up to an hour.

I’ve been using the plugin for years on all kinds of hosts and never had issues until the chrome update so I’m not sure it’s the plugin itself or something that changed in the browser.

Happy to help debug or run a debug build to collect info/logs if needed.

Felix Abecassis US

Oct 28, 2023, 7:18:44 AM10/28/23
to chromium-hterm, Maciej Żenczykowski, chromium-hterm, Andrew P., amber...@gmail.com, Felix Abecassis, Rick Vasquez
Yes, it happens on all Linux servers I've tried connecting to (from Windows 10 / 11).

stay groovy

Nov 13, 2023, 10:04:35 PM11/13/23
to chromium-hterm, Felix Abecassis US, Maciej Żenczykowski, chromium-hterm, Andrew P., amber...@gmail.com, Felix Abecassis, Rick Vasquez
Same exact behavior on multiple Windows 10 machines running Chrome 119. This is obviously rather very frustrating.

Nov 15, 2023, 11:23:46 AM11/15/23
to chromium-hterm, stay groovy, Felix Abecassis US, Maciej Żenczykowski, chromium-hterm, Andrew P., amber...@gmail.com, Felix Abecassis, Rick Vasquez
i had that same issue a week or two ago. are they even trying to fix this? like whats going on