Box drawing, TERM and Secure Shell

Neal Fultz

Mar 20, 2023, 3:16:40 PM3/20/23
to chromium-hterm
I have recently noticed that box drawing in the ranger file manager[1] is broken when connecting from Secure Shell Extension (also the ChromeOS terminal).

It is hard for me to tell if the issue is in ranger, python, ncurses or Ubuntu/Debian packages of those, but I thought I should share my workaround.

I was able to fix it by adding the below to my .ssh/config in the extension:

```
Host *
  SetEnv TERM=hterm-256color
```

Best,

Neal Fultz

Alan Bram

Mar 20, 2023, 7:44:41 PM3/20/23
to chromium-hterm, Neal Fultz
Dunno if it's the same issue, but I get box drawing to work by setting environment variable `NCURSES_NO_UTF8_ACS=1`

Mike Frysinger

Mar 20, 2023, 8:21:44 PM3/20/23
to Alan Bram, chromium-hterm, Neal Fultz
it is the same issue.  the default ncurses behavior in an UTF8 compatible term is still to utilize graphics switching modes instead of plain old Unicode characters.  the behavior described is WAI on the hterm side for stability, and isn't specific to hterm.  either of the suggestions is reasonable.

we were waiting to switch the default $TERM to give more time for distros to roll out ncurses updates as hterm doesn't exist in older versions.  maybe we can switch that default now.
-mike