Restoring profile backups broken in Chrome SSH extension?

Collin Needham

Oct 6, 2022, 12:48:49 AM10/6/22
to chromium-hterm
I observed on a coworker's new HP chromebook that using the "Restore Backup" button in the options is not working. He installed the extension and used the Restore Backup button to load a pre-existing file containing several annoyingly-complicated connections, and after selecting the local json file and returning to the options screen, no connections were added.

I replicated the issue on a Win10 machine:
* Installed chrome (fresh, it was not previously installed)
* Installed the hterm ssh extenson from the web store
* Created a dummy connection with a single port forwarding argument
* Ensured that profile was saved by closing the SSH window and re-opening
* Used the "Save Backup" button to create the backup json with default filename
* Deleted the dummy connection from the connection dialog
* Used Restore Backup and selected the previously generated file
* Result: No connections in connection dialog

In addition, if there is an existing connection saved, it will be wiped when Restore Backup is used. Restore Backup had previously been working great and I've used this feature in an SOP since 2018; this is the first time I've seen this issue.

Please let me know what other information I can provide, and thanks for your work on a great and accessible cross-platform SSH client!

Mike Frysinger

Oct 6, 2022, 12:53:03 AM10/6/22
to Collin Needham, chromium-hterm
leave Chrome running and check back in 5 minutes. the Chrome sync storage layer rate limits us, but the background page should keep retrying until the restore is done.
-mike

Rolan Yang

Jan 17, 2023, 7:22:40 PM1/17/23
to chromium-hterm, vap...@chromium.org, chromium-hterm, cnee...@restreamsolutions.com
I am experiencing the same problem. Secure Shell v 0.53.
Save Backup generates a proper json file. Restore wipes the connections empty.
Letting it sit a while did not restore.

~Rolan

Chris Heacock

Mar 8, 2023, 12:17:48 AM3/8/23
to chromium-hterm, Rolan Yang, vap...@chromium.org, chromium-hterm, cnee...@restreamsolutions.com
I have the exact same issue. v 0.53
Valid JSON backup. Restore seems to do nothing even after waiting several minutes.

JT

Apr 20, 2023, 6:44:33 PM4/20/23
to chromium-hterm, Chris Heacock, Rolan Yang, vap...@chromium.org, chromium-hterm, cnee...@restreamsolutions.com
Same issue here with v0.53.  I am migrating from Edge Beta to Edge so I performed the Save Backup from Edge Beta and performed Restore Backup in Edge.  Now all my profiles are gone.  It even performed a sync and deleted all my profiles on Edge Beta.  How do I get all my profiles back?