How to downgrade?

Jon

Dec 1, 2023, 2:15:52 PM12/1/23
to chromium-hterm
I'm fed up with this extension not working on recent versions. The old 0.53 version works perfectly on all my machines.

How do I just downgrade to a perfectly working previous version?

Mike Frysinger

Dec 1, 2023, 2:46:41 PM12/1/23
to Jon, chromium-hterm
assuming you're defining "works perfectly" as in "i want to use NaCl", you really can't.  Chrome has dropped NaCl from Windows & macOS.  so installing a diff version of the extension won't help if Chrome doesn't support NaCl.  the only reason Linux still supports NaCl is because CrOS has it for enterprise, but people are itching to delete it there too.

if anything, installing an older Secure Shell version on current Chrome versions is guaranteed to be a terrible experience as we've been fixing bugs in the WASM port.
-mike

On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 2:17 PM Jon <turke...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm fed up with this extension not working on recent versions. The old 0.53 version works perfectly on all my machines.

How do I just downgrade to a perfectly working previous version?

Turkeyphant

Dec 2, 2023, 6:06:09 AM12/2/23
to Mike Frysinger, chromium-hterm
I don't know what was changed or why it broke it but I do know that it _currently_ works perfectly on a macOS machine still running 0.53

Henner Zeller

Dec 2, 2023, 7:51:08 AM12/2/23
to turke...@gmail.com, Mike Frysinger, chromium-hterm
On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 at 03:06, Turkeyphant <turke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know what was changed or why it broke it but I do know that it _currently_ works perfectly on a macOS machine still running 0.53

Can you explain what is not working so that the developers have a
chance to figure out the problem to fix ? Just "it broke" might be a
slightly too wide definition :)
So the environment used, e.g. what operating system you're using
(macOS which version ?), what browser and its version. Also what you
see not working like startup-error, slow responses, authentication
issues, broken connections etc.

-h
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-hterm/CAPTZ2j4oZ4enU72oervw-e1zTH3QSAZvOkC8M0hRPxnp2dfVMw%40mail.gmail.com.

Turkeyphant

Dec 2, 2023, 7:59:28 AM12/2/23
to Henner Zeller, Mike Frysinger, chromium-hterm
I've posted multiple times giving verbose logs and full environment and not had any replies.

Henner Zeller

Dec 2, 2023, 8:17:22 AM12/2/23
On Sat, 2 Dec 2023 at 04:59, Turkeyphant <turke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've posted multiple times giving verbose logs and full environment and not had any replies.

Thanks, I just looked back in the mailing list and see that you did
provide details in other messages. Sorry for my shot-from-the hip
reply; as a developer in other systems I have seen way too often
reports without actionable info.

-h

Turkeyphant

Dec 2, 2023, 8:34:45 AM12/2/23
to Henner Zeller, Mike Frysinger, chromium-hterm
No problem. I'm not great at troubleshooting but really want to get this working so anything I can provide to help solve my situation I'll try my best to provide.

Jon

Dec 2, 2023, 7:35:50 PM12/2/23
to chromium-hterm, Mike Frysinger, chromium-hterm, Jon
Mike,

I've installed version 0.53. It works perfectly. I have been unable to find any bugs at all. It is 100% a better experience than any of the new versions that simply DO NOT WORK AT ALL.

I'm not the only person with this issue that doesn't seem to be being addressed. The extension page has the following 1-star reviews since whatever change broken the extension was implemented:

Frederic Rochat
This was my preferred SSH client, but it stopped working. :-(

Nican
Yet another great Google product that has stopped working.

Paul Miller
Version 0.60 stopped working for me.  Installed the development version of Secure Shell from chrome web store (same name different icon) and version 0.60.8738.27253 of that is working.

Henry Karjalainen
Has stopped working. The OTHER Secure Shell from Google works -

Ewan Watson
Same as everyone. Stopped working after update. Hopefully it gets fixed soon... maybe relying on Alpha wasn't the right move...

Aldo Moro
no longer works

Reinhard Vogel
No longer works after update

Rene de Visser
No longer works for me. Worked fine for years.

Alan Singleton
No longer works after update

Finley Baker
This was working perfectly for me until it was updated to wasm. Now I'm having to restart the network service because it won't drop SSH forwarded ports and it won't reconnect.

Jamison Donato
Pretty sad that after several months its still no better.    Time to move on to something better.   Serious disappointment.

Mike Donohue
was working well for me until late Sep / early Oct.  See the same for others. Will have to switch to something else now.

Leonard Bildwerk
the last update somehow broke it for me, putty works but this extension drops connections after a short time

Mikhail Samin
It was great. A migration broken it. Can the developers at least enable the option to keep the old thing while the new one is unstable?