0.59 Secure Shell cannot access IPv6 target

Alex Tang

Oct 3, 2023, 8:18:50 AM10/3/23
to chromium-hterm
Hello Experts,
I found 0.59 Secure Shell could not access IPv6 target.

Best Regards,
-Jianmin

Mike Frysinger

Oct 3, 2023, 10:09:12 AM10/3/23
to Alex Tang, chromium-hterm
sorry, but you'll have to provide more details.  IPv6 is working fine for me.
-mike

blackbug

Oct 4, 2023, 3:54:45 AM10/4/23
to Mike Frysinger, chromium-hterm
Hi Mike,

Here is the error message. I connect to a IPv6 target, but get below error in 0.59 Secure Shell. I try to connect to the same target with putty in the same env and everything is working fine. So, I doubt there is something wrong with it. I do not know how to troubleshoot it. So, if you can guide me on how to do it, I think I can provide more information.

image.png

Best Regards,
-Jianmin

Maciej Żenczykowski

Oct 4, 2023, 4:20:51 AM10/4/23
to blackbug, Mike Frysinger, chromium-hterm

Mike Frysinger

Oct 4, 2023, 8:05:53 AM10/4/23
to blackbug, chromium-hterm
network unreachable implies a problem with your network or you entered the wrong name. it's a little hard to tell as you blanked out the actual thing you connected to.

if you don't want to share that info with the group, feel free to send just that part to me directly.
-mike

PeterK

Nov 8, 2023, 10:46:34 PM11/8/23
to chromium-hterm, vap...@chromium.org, chromium-hterm, blackbug
I also cannot connect to an IPv6 target using version 0.59 on Linux Mint using Google Chrome Version 119.0.6045.123 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Works fine using the dev version of SSH Shell (algkcnfjnajfhgimadimbjhmpaeohhln version 6 Nov 2023 15:09

Here is the error i get:

ssh: connect to host REDACTED port 22: Network unreachable

The network is reachable using the dev version of the chrome plugin, and also can access ipv6.google.com via the browser. The host I am connecting to is on my local network too. Connecting to an IPv4 host works fine.

Is there any more info or logs I can provide to help debug?

PeterK

Nov 8, 2023, 10:50:30 PM11/8/23
to chromium-hterm, PeterK, vap...@chromium.org, chromium-hterm, blackbug
Also worth noting that I have tried both IPv6 hostname and via a direct IPv6 address and both get same "Network unreachable" error to rule out any DNS oddities. Again, both work fine in the current dev version of the extension.

Maciej Żenczykowski

Nov 8, 2023, 11:07:10 PM11/8/23
to PeterK, chromium-hterm, vap...@chromium.org, blackbug
Add -6 to ssh arguments.  This is a wasm-only bug that's supposed to have been fixed at head (ie. in 0.60 whenever that happens)

Maciej Żenczykowski, Kernel Networking Developer @ Google

Maciej Żenczykowski

Nov 8, 2023, 11:10:07 PM11/8/23
to PeterK, chromium-hterm, vap...@chromium.org, blackbug

PeterK

Nov 8, 2023, 11:24:52 PM11/8/23
to chromium-hterm, ma...@google.com, chromium-hterm, vap...@chromium.org, blackbug, PeterK
Adding the -6 in the arguments box sorted it. Thank you!

Mike Frysinger

Nov 9, 2023, 12:17:43 AM11/9/23
to Maciej Żenczykowski, PeterK, chromium-hterm, blackbug
you can verify the behavior using the dev extension