Last few lines not visible again in 0.8.19

big...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2013, 2:23:27 AM6/24/13
to chromiu...@chromium.org
hi there,

Has there been a regression related to the bug where the last few lines of output are off screen? I'm having this issue at the moment in the beta channel of Chrome OS
28.0.1500.53 beta, with SSH version 0.8.19.

Thanks.

paf...@google.com

Jun 24, 2013, 3:26:49 AM6/24/13
to chromiu...@chromium.org, big...@gmail.com
Strangely enough I've noticed that this bug only happens in one of my user profiles but not the other. Could it be a setting that's causing this?

big...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2013, 4:20:40 AM6/24/13
to chromiu...@chromium.org, big...@gmail.com, paf...@google.com
nm.  It seems like the issue was browser zoom level.  ctrl-shift-0 from the connection panel fixed it.

peterr...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2013, 11:44:57 AM7/1/13
to chromiu...@chromium.org, big...@gmail.com
I'm seeing this as well, in 28.0.1500.66 beta with the 0.8.19 client.

Re-sizing the window (ctrl-+/-) "corrects" it, but there's still an off-by-one error that I see the moment I launch a curses application.

Consistent across all the boxes I log into:
  1. hit [enter] until I scroll to the bottom of the screen, then the current prompt is one line below where the screen ends & I can't see my typing.
  2. Expand / shrink terminal by one (returning to original size), I can see the prompt again.
  3. Launch pine (or similar curses app), and problem re-appears.
These are all machines I've used command-line ssh with for years, with consistent results across all other ssh clients (unix / mac / win).

Thank you!

Patrick Flynn

Jul 1, 2013, 3:41:02 PM7/1/13
to peterr...@gmail.com, chromiu...@chromium.org
are you using ctrl-shift-+/- or ctrl-+/-? The former was the one causing issues for me since it's the browser zoom versus just font increase/decrease in the shell.

Robert Ginda

Jul 1, 2013, 4:26:19 PM7/1/13
to peterr...@gmail.com, chromium-hterm, big...@gmail.com
Try opening the Secure Shell options (visit chrome:extensions, find Secure Shell, and click options) and press Ctrl-0 to reset the browser zoom level.

Chris Shelton

Jul 1, 2013, 10:39:34 PM7/1/13
to Robert Ginda, peterr...@gmail.com, chromium-hterm, big...@gmail.com
I was often having this same issue (where the last line of the terminal just did not appear), and didn't even notice that I had the browser zoom level set to something other than 100% for the secure shell window.  The recent upgrade to 0.8.20 made it very noticeable that I wasn't using 100% for my zoom level in secure shell, and appears to have fixed this issue for me.

Since I typically connect to a tmux session just after connecting with ssh, I really didn't notice this issue, since it did not happen when running tmux, only in a basic shell session.

I'm using secure shell on ChromeOS with the current beta version, in case that matters.

chris

Robert Ginda

Jul 2, 2013, 1:58:15 PM7/2/13
to Chris Shelton, Peter Leonard, chromium-hterm, Patrick Flynn
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 7:39 PM, Chris Shelton <cshe...@shelton-family.net> wrote:
I was often having this same issue (where the last line of the terminal just did not appear), and didn't even notice that I had the browser zoom level set to something other than 100% for the secure shell window.  The recent upgrade to 0.8.20 made it very noticeable that I wasn't using 100% for my zoom level in secure shell, and appears to have fixed this issue for me.

Since I typically connect to a tmux session just after connecting with ssh, I really didn't notice this issue, since it did not happen when running tmux, only in a basic shell session.

The missing line shouldn't have been affected either way by tmux.  It's entirely dependent on window size, font selection, and browser zoom.

FWIW, the zoom warning that you see in 0.8.20 has been there for a year or more, but changes to Chrome broke the zoom detection code and the warning stopped working.  When the warning message appears, hterm relinquishes control of Ctrl-0 so it can be used to reset the browser zoom back to 100%.

kevin.ja...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2014, 1:49:41 PM4/6/14
to chromiu...@chromium.org
I see a similar problem on a chrome os if I just open a new crosh tab (in dev mode), type shell, and hit enter until the prompt gets to the bottom of the window.  I don't know if this is related to this chromium hterm stuff you guys are talking about, but it is really annoying and I can't find anything about it other than this discussion.

It is happening on
Version 33.0.1750.152
Platform 5116.115.5 (Official Build) stable-channel daisy

I can see the prompt again if I mess around with the zoom levels or hit enter several times, but it keeps disappearing.

It does not happen in the dev console that I go to with Ctrl + Alt + ->.

Thanks,
Chrome OS newb

Robert Ginda

Apr 6, 2014, 4:14:07 PM4/6/14
to kevin.ja...@gmail.com, chromium-hterm
Is your zoom set to 100%, including the global page zoom from chrome's settings page?

kevin.ja...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2014, 6:17:16 PM4/6/14
to chromiu...@chromium.org
Yeah, I went into settings and searched for zoom.  The Page zoom under Web Content was 100%.  I had never changed that value (that I know of).  I had already used Ctrl + 0 to set the tab's zoom to 100% before and it didn't help.  I even closed all the tabs, shutdown, and restarted without fixing the problem.

So I installed Crosh Window (and the requisite Secure Shell) from the Chrome Web Store and used that for a few hours.  It never has the disappearing prompt problem.

Now crosh and shell in a Chrome tab seems to be working perfectly with both zoom settings at 100% and even working pretty well with zoom settings not at 100%.  Before the prompt was disappearing frequently even with zoom settings at 100%.  I can still recreate the problem occasionally with non-100% zoom.

If it happens again I might try "Reset browser settings".

Robert Ginda

Apr 7, 2014, 2:06:43 PM4/7/14
to Kevin Casey, chromium-hterm
On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 3:17 PM, <kevin.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, I went into settings and searched for zoom.  The Page zoom under Web Content was 100%.  I had never changed that value (that I know of).  I had already used Ctrl + 0 to set the tab's zoom to 100% before and it didn't help.  I even closed all the tabs, shutdown, and restarted without fixing the problem.

So I installed Crosh Window (and the requisite Secure Shell) from the Chrome Web Store and used that for a few hours.  It never has the disappearing prompt problem.

Now crosh and shell in a Chrome tab seems to be working perfectly with both zoom settings at 100% and even working pretty well with zoom settings not at 100%.  Before the prompt was disappearing frequently even with zoom settings at 100%.  I can still recreate the problem occasionally with non-100% zoom.

Non-100% zoom is specifically not supported in hterm because it causes this problem.  Pressing Ctrl-0 in Secure Shell is not enough to fix the issue because Ctrl Plus/Minus/0 are overridden in an attempt to prevent people from getting into a non-100% zoom (they are mapped to terminal font-size changes instead, which have the same effect as zoom without actually triggering the bug.)

Restarting doesn't help either, as Chrome saves zoom settings to disk as part of your profile.

The easiest way to reset zoom is to load the Secure Shell options page (visit chrome:extensions, search for Secure Shell, click "Options") and check the setting in the Chrome "hotdogs" menu.

Rob.