passing ctrl-d and ctrl-e to shell

Ross Zwisler

Jun 7, 2022, 3:41:39 PM6/7/22
to chromium-hterm
Hi,

I'm using the hterm plugin via ChromeOS, sshing to my Linux desktop, and for some reason it doesn't seem like the key combinations Ctrl-d and Ctrl-e are getting passed to my Linux host.  I use these all the time in vim, so I'd really like to have them.

I *think* this used to work back before COVID, but I haven't used it in a few years...

Is there  some setting I'm missing somewhere?  How can I pass these key combos to my Linux box?

Thanks,
- Ross

Matthew Blecker

Jun 7, 2022, 4:49:44 PM6/7/22
to Ross Zwisler, chromium-hterm
Are you using Secure Shell extension in a browser tab, or via a dedicated app window?  The latter is needed for it to capture a wider range of keys.  Both of those are captured and sent to the server for me, using app windows.

Also since you haven't been using Secure Shell for a long time, be sure to migrate from the app to the extension if you haven't already.  Uninstall the app if possible to make sure you don't use it accidentally.

Ross Zwisler

Jun 7, 2022, 6:02:13 PM6/7/22
to Matthew Blecker, chromium-hterm
I'm using the extension in a dedicated window, not in a tab.

ctrl-w and ctrl-t are being passed to my Linux box just fine, but not ctrl-e or ctrl-d for some reason.

I've tried making the window full screen as well, and the result was the same.

I also tried binding ctrl-d to something else, just to see if it would work, and ctrl-h as a control:

{
  "Ctrl+D": "'hello'",
  "Ctrl+H": "'hello2'"
}

ctrl-h works fine, ctrl-d does nothing. :(

- Ross

Ross Zwisler

Jun 7, 2022, 6:06:46 PM6/7/22
to Matthew Blecker, chromium-hterm
Hmm, it works fine from my Linux box, but is broken on my Chromebook, which tells me that my settings are probably fine.  I wonder if I'm hitting a lacros issue?

Matthew Blecker

Jun 7, 2022, 8:27:34 PM6/7/22
to Ross Zwisler, chromium-hterm
I used Lacros briefly and I think I would've noticed if ctrl+d didn't work, as I use it constantly, but maybe I missed it since I had to revert back from Lacros pretty quickly for other issues.

Do ctrl+d or ctrl+e do anything when focused on a Secure Shell extension window?

I wonder if some other extension or app could be swallowing them somehow, if you have anything enabled/installed on CrOS but not Linux.

Like this extension, for example:

Mike Frysinger

Jun 7, 2022, 8:29:45 PM6/7/22
to Matthew Blecker, Ross Zwisler, chromium-hterm
yeah, i have a LaCrOS system and Ctrl+D def works for me (i don't know that i've ever needed Ctrl+E).  i would check other extensions having registered shortcuts as Matthew suggests.
-mike

Ross Zwisler

Jun 7, 2022, 10:17:08 PM6/7/22
to Alan Bram, chromium-hterm, matt...@chromium.org
Yep, the "meet shortcuts" extension was it, thank you all for the help. :)

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 7:54 PM Alan Bram <sf.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
Heh-heh; yeah, "Meet shortcuts" sounds like an excellent guess, since Ctrl-D and Ctrl-E are what they use to toggle the mic and camera.

Alan Bram

Jun 8, 2022, 10:05:02 AM6/8/22
to chromium-hterm, matt...@chromium.org, chromium-hterm, zwi...@google.com