SSH shortcut not working anymore.

Marco Vanotti

Jun 2, 2023, 4:36:58 PM6/2/23
to chromium-hterm
Hi All,

My workflow for starting an SSH session was to open a tab, write SSH and press ENTER, from there the ssh menu would show up and let me pick the machine I want to connect to.

Previous to that, I think that in chromeos there was an app that one can choose to open an ssh session (I think that got deprecated sometime last year?).

The thing is that now, that doesn't work anymore. When I open a new tab, write SSH and press ENTER, nothing happens. I have to.. write some garbage to make it connect somewhere, cause an error, and then choose the new connection.

How do people start new ssh sessions with this extension?

Best Regards,
Marco

PS: I hate the "ssh shortcut" because it doesn't let me search anything in google that starts with ssh, but that's a known issue and will never get fixed.

Brian Kennelly

Jun 2, 2023, 4:44:58 PM6/2/23
to Marco Vanotti, chromium-hterm
If you have the protocol handler registered, try "ssh:" (with a trailing colon).

Personally, I prefer to pin the extension and just choose the target from there.

Brian Kennelly

Mike Frysinger

Jun 2, 2023, 5:09:18 PM6/2/23
to Marco Vanotti, chromium-hterm
i'm fairly confident that the behavior you describe is controlled by Chrome and there isn't anything we can do about it.  Secure Shell binds to the chrome.omnibox.onInputEntered event.  when that event fires, Secure Shell always opens up a window, regardless of what's in the omnibox.  if Chrome isn't firing the event, then we can't react.

i'm also fairly certain the Secure Shell omnibox code hasn't changed in years.

at a glance, i'm not seeing anything in the extension APIs for this particular edge case.

you could try filing a bug for the omnibox team via crbug.com/new ...
-mike

Madison Hall

Jan 13, 2024, 8:12:52 PMJan 13
to chromium-hterm, Mike Frysinger, chromium-hterm, Marco Vanotti
why are your shortcut not working anymore