New Privacy Selections and User Generated Content

Scott Fortmann-Roe

Nov 23, 2020, 6:48:09 AM11/23/20
to Chromium Extensions, Simeon Vincent
What are the appropriate privacy selections for extensions/apps like Google Keep that support user generated content?

Arguably, since the user can save any kind of notes in the extension/app, something like Google Keep would need to select almost all the options.

However, selecting everything in these cases doesn't seem particularly informative to the user and I don't expect that is the desired intent with the policy. Particularly, as when you enter something like a phone number into Google Keep, it's extremely clear to you that Google Keep will be storing that number.

I think this is a fairly common scenario and applies to any sort of todo or note taking extensions/apps, calendar apps, docs apps, and template apps (like our own).

@Simeon Vincent, would it be possible to clarify how to handle cases like this in regards to the privacy policy selections?

Thank you, Scott

Scott Fortmann-Roe

Dec 1, 2020, 10:29:35 AM12/1/20
to Chromium Extensions, Simeon Vincent
Just to follow up with this, we had a consultant who helps us with our privacy policy take a look at this.

She pointed out that the "Privacy Policy & Secure Handling Requirements" page here <https://developer.chrome.com/webstore/user_data> breaks out "user-generated content" as a distinct item along side things like financial information, health information, or personal communications (see screenshot below).

This would indicate that user generated content does not require selecting the other categories of information in the new privacy screen.

It would still be great to get confirmation on this from the Chrome team though.

image.png