Is there an exact time for the V2 deprecation at the moment?

dong wang

Jun 20, 2024, 10:15:53 PM (8 days ago) Jun 20
to Chromium Extensions
I'm currently working on a v2 to v3 migration, and it's still a lot of work, so I'd like to be clear about the timing. Also, if Chrome officially deprecated v2 on version 128 or 129, is there any other way to get me to use the v2 extension normally? For example, turn off the security policy, turn on developer mode, and load the decompressed extension

thank you

Patrick Kettner

Jun 24, 2024, 9:18:47 AM (5 days ago) Jun 24
to dong wang, Chromium Extensions
Hi Dong,
V2 shutoff is not something that is happening to all users at once. It is being slowly rolled out to users over time. It isn't directly tied to a single version, but the first version that has the ability for us to start disabling mv2 extensions is in Chrome 127. Whether or not a user's MV2 extensions are disabled depends on the cohort of users they are in, which can change at any time (in between Chrome releases).

sideloaded MV2 extensions will continue to work as long as MV2 extensions are supported in any way in Chrome. We have committed to support the ExtensionManifestV2Availability enterprise policy until at least June of 2025, so you would be able to load an MV2 extension until at least that point in time.

patrick

On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 10:16 PM dong wang <nevermor...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm currently working on a v2 to v3 migration, and it's still a lot of work, so I'd like to be clear about the timing. Also, if Chrome officially deprecated v2 on version 128 or 129, is there any other way to get me to use the v2 extension normally? For example, turn off the security policy, turn on developer mode, and load the decompressed extension

thank you

dong wang

Jun 25, 2024, 12:16:24 AM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to Chromium Extensions, Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions, dong wang
Thanks for your reply.

I would like to know how to enable   ExtensionManifestV2Availability for my v2-extension?

Patrick Kettner

Jun 25, 2024, 6:17:19 AM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to dong wang, Chromium Extensions
That is a Chrome policy setting. It is not something an extension enables, it is something someone who is an administrator for multiple users of Chrome can do.
But my point wasn't that you need to use that setting. It is that because that setting exists, you will continue to have the ability to load MV2 extensions.

dong wang

Jun 26, 2024, 6:25:09 AM (3 days ago) Jun 26
to Chromium Extensions, Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions, dong wang
OK! Thank your!