Package is invalid: 'CRX_HEADER_INVALID' - Package is invalid: 'CRX_REQUIRED_PROOF_MISSING'

Cheley Ortega

Aug 22, 2019, 2:02:33 AM8/22/19
to Chromium Extensions
Hello Everyone -

We have a private hosted code extension and currently we can't download this extension file from our hosted server due to Package is invalid: 'CRX_HEADER_INVALID' error so I researched about it this issue
and I found out that our extension is in CRX2 format. And the CRX2 is already deprecated in newer versions of Google Chrome browser. I already repacked this extension in my Google Chrome browser Version 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (32-bit) and it is now already in CRX3 format. I deployed it also to our hosted server and hit the link where our extension is located. But it is returning a new error Package is invalid: 'CRX_REQUIRED_PROOF_MISSING' error. Is there any way how can fix this without publishing our private hosted extension in Google Chrome Store? We can't direct download this extension from our hosted server to our Local Windows Google Chrome browser even I already repacked it in CRX3 format.

Thank you!
package is invalid crx_header_invalid.png
package is invalid crx_required_proof_missing.PNG

PhistucK

Aug 22, 2019, 5:12:03 AM8/22/19
to Cheley Ortega, Chromium Extensions
Did you re-use key.pem from previous versions? I think you should.

PhistucK

Joshua Pawlicki

Aug 22, 2019, 12:20:51 PM8/22/19
to Chromium Extensions, ortega...@gmail.com
Assuming you did re-use the key, then the browser is complaining that it requires a "publisher" co-signature on the item when it is installed via this method. Certain installation methods (including direct download) require a publisher co-signature to verify the identity of the downloaded item, while others (force-installation via prefs or group/cloud policy) do not.

Without knowing more about your use case, I would say your best options are:
1 - If your machines are managed machines under your control, install the extension onto them by using policy or prefs, e.g. as described here.
2 - Upload the extension to Chrome Web Store to have Google sign the relationship between your developer key and item identity. You can then download the cosigned version from the Chrome Web Store developer console and host it privately. Of course, this will disclose the contents of the extension to Google so that may or may not be an option for you.

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 9:02 AM Cheley Ortega <ortega...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Cheley Ortega

Aug 22, 2019, 10:22:55 PM8/22/19
to Chromium Extensions, ortega...@gmail.com
Hi @PhistucK

Yes. I re-use the key.pem from previous versions. Still the Package is invalid: 'CRX_REQUIRED_PROOF_MISSING' error occurs.