Which minimum_chrome_version to use for MV3 features used?

Tom Riley

Apr 23, 2024, 8:00:47 AMApr 23
to Chromium Extensions
Hi,

We're testing the MV3 version of our extension and would like to set a minimum_chrome_version in the manifest. This page says "Manifest V3 is supported generally in Chrome 88 or later", but how safe is that to use? Then it says "For extension features added in later Chrome versions, see the API reference documentation for support information" but I could not see any specific information about which chrome version added support for the various API methods. Is there a way to use required permissions to decipher which minimum version is required:

>   "permissions": [
    "tabs",
    "storage",
    "proxy",
    "alarms",
    "declarativeNetRequestWithHostAccess",
    "webRequest",
    "webRequestAuthProvider"
  ],

? Or actually does the web store enforce this (based on required permissions) in some way when minimum_chrome_version is not provided in the manifest?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Patrick Kettner

Apr 23, 2024, 8:06:58 AMApr 23
to Tom Riley, Chromium Extensions
Hi Tom!

The Chrome Web Store will serve your extension to anyone trying to download it, it won't gate based on what features are being used. All of your permissions have existed for quite some time, the only newer one would be declarativeNetRequestWithHostAccess, which was introduced in Chrome 84.

patrick

Tom Riley

Apr 23, 2024, 8:24:46 AMApr 23
to Chromium Extensions, Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions, Tom Riley
Great, thanks Patrick. I can see now the required version is listed there under "Availability". Sounds like 88 is reasonably safe to use then.

Jackie Han

Apr 23, 2024, 9:38:12 AMApr 23
to Patrick Kettner, Tom Riley, Chromium Extensions
The "declarativeNetRequestWithHostAccess" permission is available from Chrome 96 (not 84).

I checked through web.archive.org. JUNE 21, 2023, the API doc displayed:
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 21.30.53.png
But on Aug 06, 2023, the API doc changed to a new version, this info was deleted.

Patrick Kettner

Apr 23, 2024, 9:47:26 AMApr 23
to Jackie Han, Tom Riley, Chromium Extensions
Great catch, thank you for pointing that out Jackie. Here is the actual feature announcement, which was in fact in Chrome 96 like you mentioned.

Tom Riley

Apr 23, 2024, 6:59:51 PMApr 23
to Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han, Tom Riley, Chromium Extensions, Patrick Kettner
Thanks Jackie.