It's getting close to Jan 2022, but the observational Web Request API of mv3 is still broken

Z Yin

Nov 25, 2021, 10:36:13 AM11/25/21
to Chromium Extensions
If I'm not mistaken, as of today, the chrome.webRequest.onXXX.addListener()listeners in mv3 SWs are not functional.

Here's the bug report that's 2 years old and still unsolved:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1024211

The symptom is, the service worker can be woken up only once, and observe the web traffic of interest once, then goes dormant forever.

My understanding is that starting from Jan 2022, nobody will be able to create new extensions that observe web traffic. Does anybody have comments?

Shu

Nov 25, 2021, 10:52:24 AM11/25/21
to Chromium Extensions, Z Yin
I can't reproduce this, but I got many reports from my users recently, like:
works only 1 day.
After I must delete and install again...

I have 3 refund requests already, service worker is a pain and I don't know what to do, all customers that contacted me have chrome v 96 I asked them to check :/

hrg...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2021, 3:49:28 PM11/25/21
to Chromium Extensions, Shu, Z Yin
You can create dummy MV2 extensions with hidden visibility now. Then you can update them during 2022.
Don't expect anything to be fixed during December. It's always a slow month. People take vacation the second half.

Z Yin

Nov 29, 2021, 12:34:48 PM11/29/21
to Chromium Extensions, hrg...@gmail.com, Shu, Z Yin
@Simeon are you familiar with the situation of this issue? I could produce a demo if you need. Thanks!

Simeon Vincent

Nov 29, 2021, 8:09:43 PM11/29/21
to Chromium Extensions, Z Yin, hrg...@gmail.com, Shu
I'm familiar with the bug, but not it's prioritization or current status. I'm planning to check in with the extensions platform team about this and other issues later in the week.

Simeon - @dotproto
Chrome Extensions DevRel

Charlie Sheleg

Dec 15, 2021, 8:10:20 AM12/15/21
to Chromium Extensions, Simeon Vincent, Z Yin, hrg...@gmail.com, Shu
Sirs,

As a result of this bug, migration to Manifest V3 has become impossible for me. When will a fix be available?
Thank you for your feedback.