Chrome App OAuth 2.0 Client saying "Sorry, something went wrong there, try again.

James Henderson

Jan 16, 2021, 1:01:04 PMJan 16
to Chromium Extensions

Describe the bug
I developed a chrome extension called "Dreamliner" (ID: onecfblfkogkdafofgpkgdldahgmbiom). It is currently published - unlisted and using a Google OAuth 2.0 Client that is in testing and not verified. All my test users have been whitelisted/added to in the console to have access. The app upon first time opening it has the consent screen come up and the users needs to hit allow to get their Chrome Token with chrome.identity.getAuthToken. However, a few users are reporting that a Google popup appears and will ask them to choose their Google Account and then once they choose it the screen then just says "Sorry, something went wrong there, try again.", and chrome.identity.getAuthToken is returning undefined. This should not be happening.

To Reproduce
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

  1. Go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dreamliner/onecfblfkogkdafofgpkgdldahgmbiom/related?hl=en
  2. Install and go to a new tab
  3. Try to authenticate and click allow (this will only work if I add you as a test user for my OAuth client)
  4. Make a new tab again
  5. Google popup will appear to select account as shown in screenshots
  6. User will click account and then the Google popup will show an error message as shown in the screenshots

Expected behavior
The user should select account and ``chrome.identity.getAuthToken` should return their chrome token and they should not be prompted again for this unless they sign out or delete account etc.

Screenshots Below

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 10.50.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 10.50.12 PM.png