Chrome MV3 timeline questions

Péter Szász

Oct 10, 2022, 4:57:06 AM10/10/22
to Chromium Extensions
Hey group, hope I'm at the right forum to ask these. Feel free to point me somewhere else if not.

Regarding Google's recent announcement on MV3 transition timeline, I have a few questions.

On the "Featured" badge removal from MV2 extensions starting January 2023

 - What else does this affect? Rating? Discoverability?
 - Does this affect in any way how updates to the MV2 extension are approved and rolled out?
 - Will the extension that had the badge before automatically get it back once being MV3 compliant?

On making MV2 extensions Unlisted in June 2023

 - What does this affect besides users not finding us via search and other similar methods?
 - Are other properties (rating, reviews, etc) remain the same after being Unlisted and then getting Listed again?
 - Can we still publish MV2 updates to our users?
 - Will we get the Public status immediately and automatically again once we publish an MV3-compatible extension?

On the removal of MV2 extensions in January 2024

 - What does this mean in practice? How does this effect current users? Forced uninstall?
 - Can we still push MV2 updates to existing users?
 - Can we push an MV3 update and once approved, keep / get back our current users?
 - Will we get back our current Featured badge, rating, reviews, etc. once having an MV3-compatible extension published?

On the Chrome 112 experiments turning off MV2 support starting in January 2023

 - What does this mean in practice? Will the user experience on an MV2 extension be degraded, or the extension won’t start at all? Will it even be visible in the extensions menu?
 - Can we show a custom message to users impacted?

I'd appreciate if someone could provide more information and clarity on the above. Let me know if one of the questions was unclear.

Thanks in advance!

Péter

Isaac Durand

Oct 10, 2022, 11:25:40 AM10/10/22
to Chromium Extensions, peter...@dashlane.com
Great questions - I'd love to get these answers too.

Amogh Sarda

Oct 28, 2022, 4:45:11 AM10/28/22
to Chromium Extensions, is...@jointoucan.com, peter...@dashlane.com
Jumping in for visibility. We'd also love more clarity on that wherever possible!

Péter Szász

Nov 23, 2022, 10:39:59 AM11/23/22
to Chromium Extensions, Péter Szász
Hey, apologies for the bumping of the thread, but we have no replies since my mail in October, and the first deadline mentioned is approaching very fast, especially considering the holidays.

For example, as it seems, in about five weeks we'll lose our Featured badge, and our customers on the Beta channel using Chrome 112 will have a degraded experience (or no extension at all).

Could we have some, even partial, answers to the below questions?

Thank you,

Péter

Asaf Shochet

Dec 8, 2022, 4:22:38 AM12/8/22
to Chromium Extensions, peter...@dashlane.com
Hi,
If someone could give an official update it would be amazing! (coffee on me)

ITIS Examity

Dec 8, 2022, 12:29:33 PM12/8/22
to Chromium Extensions, asaf.s...@evinced.com, peter...@dashlane.com
I would love to see the answers.