64 bit Chrome not loading extensions configured to load from registry

VR

Aug 16, 2014, 1:29:09 PM8/16/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org
As per the documentation at https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/external_extensions , on 64 bit machines, extensions can be fetched from chrome store by creating a registry entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Google\Chrome\Extensions

This works fine on 32 bit Chrome browser but the new 64 bit chrome browser is not respecting this registry area.

I guess the 64 bit Chrome is looking in the 64 bit registry area but I think at some point existing 32 bit browsers will be forcibly upgraded to 64 bit version and so for backward compatibility reasons, Chrome should look for extensions in both 32 and 64 bit area otherwise EXISTING extensions registered for 32 bit browser will not be loaded by 64 bit browser after upgrade.

Browser: Chrome 64 bit (beta)
Platform: Win 8.1

PhistucK

Aug 25, 2014, 4:59:41 PM8/25/14
to VR, Chromium-extensions
The beta and the stable versions (32 or 64 bit) are not loading extensions via the registry anymore (since Chrome 35, I think). Only using enterprise policy, if you are in a domain.

For more information, see the blog post -

PhistucK

VR

Aug 26, 2014, 9:37:47 AM8/26/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org, vijay....@gmail.com
That is true for loading extensions as local .crx files but Chrome will still load extensions from the store if "update_url" value is specified in the registry.
See the "Using the Windows registry" section in https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/external_extensions

This works fine in 32 and 64 bit chrome but 64 bit chrome doesn't respect the 32 bit registry area. When 32 bit browsers is upgraded to 64 bit version then any extension in 32 bit area will not be loaded because 64 bit Chrome is not looking in the 64 bit area.

So I think to be backward compatible 64 bit chrome should look for side loaded extensions in both 32 and 64 bit area.

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 8:29 PM, VR <vijay....@gmail.com> wrote:
As per the documentation at https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/external_extensions , on 64 bit machines, extensions can be fetched from chrome store by creating a registry entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Google\Chrome\Extensions

This works fine on 32 bit Chrome browser but the new 64 bit chrome browser is not respecting this registry area.

I guess the 64 bit Chrome is looking in the 64 bit registry area but I think at some point existing 32 bit browsers will be forcibly upgraded to 64 bit version and so for backward compatibility reasons, Chrome should look for extensions in both 32 and 64 bit area otherwise EXISTING extensions registered for 32 bit browser will not be loaded by 64 bit browser after upgrade.

Browser: Chrome 64 bit (beta)
Platform: Win 8.1

Finnur Thorarinsson

Aug 26, 2014, 10:19:09 AM8/26/14
to VR, Chromium-extensions
You should file a bug.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-extensions/.

Nandu

Aug 26, 2014, 11:15:09 AM8/26/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org, vijay....@gmail.com
if you don't want to wait for the fix, I'd recommend you to make registrations in both 32-bit and 64-bit hives.

VR

Aug 27, 2014, 4:41:49 AM8/27/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org, vijay....@gmail.com

Oliver Cante

Sep 16, 2014, 1:27:43 PM9/16/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org, vijay....@gmail.com
Hi

I have exactly the same problem than yours on my Windows 8.1 64 bits.

I have published an extension in the chrome store.
On a windows 7 32 bits, i have added the registry entires and it works. Chrome asked me to enable the extension.
On a Windows 8 64 bits, Chrome does not ask to enable the extension.

Did you find a solution ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Olivier