sync storage across devices

Tanzim mahtab

Aug 9, 2022, 12:55:44 AM8/9/22
to Chromium Extensions
Hello friends,
can you suggest me how to sync storage data across other devices  without publishing the extension in chrome web store. My situation is, I have developed a chrome extension . So, I have the extension source code as well. Now , I wanted to use the extension on different devices like copy pasting the source code. Suppose , its a to do list extension. Is there any way , if I add a todo (in extension)  in local storage in any device ,( used storage.sync) this todo will be synced with the other devices extension too ?

hrg...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2022, 3:18:38 AM8/9/22
to Chromium Extensions, tanzi...@gmail.com
In order for chrome.storage.sync to work, the extension must have the same ID on every device where it's installed.
An unpacked extension can keep the same extension ID by adding the "key" property to the manifest file.

Tanzim mahtab

Aug 9, 2022, 4:51:19 PM8/9/22
to Chromium Extensions, hrg...@gmail.com
Thanks. I will try it.

Guilherme Dellagustin

Apr 20, 2024, 5:42:37 PMApr 20
to Chromium Extensions, Tanzim mahtab, hrg...@gmail.com
Worked like a charm, thanks!
It also works if you package the extension manually and install it locally from the .crx, but you have to then copy the key, remove the manually packaged extension, and load your unpacked extension.
Related Stackoverflow questions: