How to install Chrome Extension through msi setup via group policy

Biswa S

Dec 3, 2014, 10:34:58 AM12/3/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org
I have developed an msi setup for Windows machines, which contains my chrome extension native messaging app. I am about to publish the extension on Chrome Web Store. The extension is supposed to get silently installed through this msi setup. As per Chromium Policy List, I want to write it under Software\Policies\Chromium\ExtensionInstallForcelist, so that the extension cannot be removed or disabled. But I understand that directly writing it to the registry does not do the needful anymore and I need to do it through Group Policy (GPO). The client computers, where I have to install the chrome extension through msi setup, will not necessarily be joined to an Active Directory domain, rather those computers can be any workstations with any version of Windows (XP, 7, 8, Server) just connected to internet and users are also not required to sign in to chrome. So, please correct me if I am wrong, it is about machine policy and not cloud-based policy.

I was going through this link, but I need to know how to create a device based group policy which will let me silently install my chrome extension hard-enabled on any Windows computer for any user regardless of their being signed in to chrome with non-removable feature.

I responsibly confirm that this is not about manifestation of any harmful or malware development. Actually users themselves will knowingly install the msi setup. The extension reads user's URL to generate some statistical log. The msi setup and chrome extension will have completely authenticated source and the registry entry will include the fixed extension ID which I'll receive once I upload the extension on chrome web store.

Please help me create and deploy a machine group policy for installation of my chrome extension through msi.

Antony Sargent

Dec 3, 2014, 5:59:27 PM12/3/14
to Biswa S, Chromium-extensions
This isn't supported because of abusive behavior by malware. Chrome requires that windows machines be joined to an Active Directory for enterprise policies to take effect.

Biswa S

Antony Sargent

Dec 8, 2014, 1:12:03 PM12/8/14
On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 11:44 PM, Biswa S <itsme...@gmail.com> wrote: