Slowness on Extensions - Manifest V2

Mihindu Karunarathne

Aug 10, 2022, 3:55:08 AM8/10/22
to Chromium Extensions
Hi Team,

Recently I've noticed that an extension I've developed takes few seconds to load when clicks on the extension icon.

Anyone else experiencing the same ? i noticed some of the other extensions are bit slow too. Ex  Metamask.
issue is this impacts the current Prod version as well. I've not pushed any change in months and it was working fine till couple of days back and now suddenly it's very slow.

My Extension has a communication link with the Web to triggers an Popup (Notification in Extension terms) and now it takes around 30 seconds to display that Popup after the request.

Tried In Brave and Brave is relatively fast like it will show the popup within 5 sec but in Firefox it's really fast popup displays right when i click on the request button.

Only Warning i get is to migrate the Plugin Manifest version to V3 nothing else , I suspect it's either that or the Browser , Any pointers on how i can investigate this ?

Chrome Browser Version : Version 104.0.5112.79 (Official Build) (64-bit)
System :  Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Thanks,
Mihindu Karunarathne

Jackie Han

Aug 10, 2022, 7:55:53 AM8/10/22
to Mihindu Karunarathne, Chromium Extensions
I can confirm that this problem exists in both MV2 and MV3. But I haven't analyzed the reason.
Usually, it is a complex/large page. It feels like the browser is waiting for the page to do all the work before it appears.
I suggest filing a bug for it.

Mihindu Karunarathne

Aug 10, 2022, 8:21:30 AM8/10/22
to Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han, Chromium Extensions, Mihindu Karunarathne
Thanks, Jackie for the prompt response. I'm also in process of moving this to MV3 to see if that will solve or at least improve a little bit.
Having said that I have a few users who are still in Chrome 102 and confirmed that they are not experiencing any lagging  but the ones in 104 experiencing slownes

Mihindu Karunarathne

Aug 10, 2022, 12:40:49 PM8/10/22
to Chromium Extensions, Mihindu Karunarathne, Jackie Han, Chromium Extensions
Bug Logged - https://crbug.com/1351763
Open to suggestions to get this fixed from the Extension side.