New site for community translation

12 views
Skip to first unread message

Christopher Finke

unread,
Dec 27, 2010, 1:32:00 PM12/27/10
to Chromium-extensions
I've put together a simple site to allow developers and translators to
work together on extension translation:

http://interpr.it/

The current feature set:

* Uses Google's OpenID support for account management.
* Clean UI for displaying all messages from a locale, along with
developer descriptions and placeholder examples.
* API for downloading latest locale files.
* It will automatically fill in any translations that have been
previously completed for other extensions. For example, if a
translator has already translated 'Thank you' into French for another
extension, and your extension uses the phrase 'Thank you,' Interpr.it
will automatically transfer that translation for you.

I'd be very thankful for any feedback or feature suggestions.

Chris

Eric Williams

unread,
Dec 27, 2010, 6:36:25 PM12/27/10
to chromium-...@chromium.org

It's unclear what the licensing terms of the translations are, there
should probably be some documentation on the website about it.

I also worry a bit about point 4, translations can be fairly contextual,
and that auto-fill behavior could lead to some incorrect translations.

Christopher Finke

unread,
Dec 27, 2010, 6:55:10 PM12/27/10
to Chromium-extensions
On Dec 27, 5:36 pm, Eric Williams <purpleshadow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's unclear what the licensing terms of the translations are, there
> should probably be some documentation on the website about it.

Good point; I'll make sure this is addressed.

> I also worry a bit about point 4, translations can be fairly contextual,
> and that auto-fill behavior could lead to some incorrect translations.

I spent some time trying to come up with identical English phrases
that would be translated differently, depending on the context, but I
couldn't find any simple examples. In reality, the auto-fill would
probably only apply to things like "OK", "Cancel", "Continue", etc.

Chris

belmstedt

unread,
Dec 28, 2010, 2:02:15 PM12/28/10
to Chromium-extensions, Christopher Finke
Wow, this is pretty amazing. Five minutes and I've already translated
75% of an extension I'd never heard about. :)

Regarding suggestions, the shortcomings generally aren't yours, but
rather the extension locale format's, but perhaps they can be
addressed on interpr.it nonetheless. Specifically, I'm lacking:

1. Contextual information regarding capitalisation. When translating
"January", with the description "Name of month", it makes a difference
in many languages whether this will start a sentence or not. Month
names aren't capitalised in many languages. I guess an example in the
description would suffice though ("Name of month - will appear as 'You
added this in $month$ 2010.'").

2. Contextual information regarding grammatical gender. Same as above,
but for grammatical gender. When translating "Publish it" it makes a
difference what grammatical gender "it" is in many languages.

Guess it boils down to better phrase descriptions. :)

> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Chromium-extensions" group.
> To post to this group, send email to chromium-...@chromium.org.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to chromium-extens...@chromium.org.
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/group/chromium-extensions/?hl=en.
>
>

Christopher Finke

unread,
Dec 28, 2010, 2:09:42 PM12/28/10
to Chromium-extensions
On Dec 28, 1:02 pm, belmstedt <tom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding suggestions, the shortcomings generally aren't yours, but
> rather the extension locale format's, but perhaps they can be
> addressed on interpr.it nonetheless.

I'm the developer of the only extensions uploaded so far, so they
actually are my shortcomings. :-) Thanks for the feedback on better
descriptions; I wasn't aware of how much context is sometimes
necessary to ensure an accurate translation. I'll be sure to add more
explanatory text.

Chris

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 19:32, Christopher  Finke <cfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > I've put together a simple site to allow developers and translators to
> > work together on extension translation:
>
> >http://interpr.it/
>
> > The current feature set:
>
> > * Uses Google's OpenID support for account management.
> > * Clean UI for displaying all messages from a locale, along with
> > developer descriptions and placeholder examples.
> > * API for downloading latest locale files.
> > * It will automatically fill in any translations that have been
> > previously completed for other extensions. For example, if a
> > translator has already translated 'Thank you' into French for another
> > extension, and your extension uses the phrase 'Thank you,' Interpr.it
> > will automatically transfer that translation for you.
>
> > I'd be very thankful for any feedback or feature suggestions.
>
> > Chris
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Chromium-extensions" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to chromium-extensi...@chromium.org.
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to chromium-extensions+unsubscr...@chromium.org.

Mixe

unread,
Dec 28, 2010, 2:48:26 PM12/28/10
to Chromium-extensions
Chrome Extension Localizer, license "as-is", works without any logins:
http://www.mixesoft.com/localizer.html

Also, very useful html/script by Cezar Sá Espinola:
http://gist.github.com/631174
It may help you to keep track of missing translations in
different languages.
It doesn't have any external dependencies, so you can simply drop it
in the
root directory of your extension and point your browser
at chrome-extension://<extension_id>/locales.html
It'll load all your messages.json files and display a report showing
all
your translated strings highlighting missing entries for each locale.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages