Support for Hong Kong in the i18n settings (zh-HK)

馮韋元

Jul 6, 2021, 4:04:00 AM7/6/21
to Chromium Extensions
Hello,
For years, Chrome extensions have only supported 2 locales regarding Mandarin:
zh-CN (Simplified Chinese) and zh-TW (Traditional Chinese)

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 3.52.54 PM.png

While it makes sense on a character set level (one is simplified Chinese, one is Traditional Chinese characters), it doesn't make sense for the Chrome store not to include Hong Kong in the list. Hong Kong also uses zh-TW on Chrome, but it should support zh-HK instead.

The Chrome store offers localization of the extension meta data. Users landing on the Chrome store will see the title, description and extended description based on the user's UI language.

Hong Kong and Taiwan both use traditional chinese characters, but sentences are not always written the same. Just like France and Quebec to give an analogy.

We have this extension where the name in Taiwan needs to be different from the name in Hong Kong and the only way to do that would be to create a separate extension just for Hong Kong. Which is not possible according to the Chrome policy.

馮韋元

Jul 22, 2021, 10:04:46 AM7/22/21
to Chromium Extensions, 馮韋元
Any news about this? It would be good to finally support zh-HK on the chrome store.

Kibegwa A Kibegwa

Jul 22, 2021, 11:34:20 AM7/22/21
to 馮韋元, Chromium Extensions
Okey thank you dear,we was note aware of this before.
Kibegwa
Tanzania East Africa.