Error message: "Manifest v2 is deprecated"

Joshua Hofstad

May 20, 2022, 4:16:56 AM5/20/22
to Chromium Extensions
Our company has a browser extension that covers Edge and Chrome. We have not migrated to manifest v3 yet. Recently one of our customers updated to chrome version 101.0.4951.67 and Edge version 101.0.1210.47.

They are no longer able to use our plugin and are now getting an error message:
"Manifest version 2 is deprecated, and support will be removed in 2023."

Per https://developer.chrome.com/blog/mv2-transition/ I thought we had until January 2023 to update to manifest v3?

hrg...@gmail.com

May 20, 2022, 6:26:12 AM5/20/22
to Chromium Extensions, joshua....@acrolinx.com
Yes, until 2023. That message is not a error, it's just a warning. MV2 extensions still work as always.

Cuyler Stuwe

May 20, 2022, 10:08:08 AM5/20/22
to hrg...@gmail.com, Chromium Extensions, joshua....@acrolinx.com
Almost all of the extensions that people actually use are MV2, because the bugs, feature gaps, and uncertainties in MV3 have made it difficult for companies to commit to developing for it so far. As a result, most people will see this “error message” on just about every Chrome they’re using at this point in time.

Stryder Crown

May 20, 2022, 4:28:10 PM5/20/22
to Cuyler Stuwe, hrg...@gmail.com, Chromium Extensions, joshua....@acrolinx.com
This. I know that Google has always had an eager policy of deprecating products and API's before they have the replacement production ready, but in this case, instead of just being a 'developer' problem, it's leaked into user space which doubly impacts developers since it now looks like "we've" dropped the ball. It's not just frustrating, it's potentially impacting revenue.

hrg...@gmail.com

May 20, 2022, 5:53:34 PM5/20/22
to Chromium Extensions, Stryder, hrg...@gmail.com, Chromium Extensions, joshua....@acrolinx.com, salem...@gmail.com
That warning message only shows up if you load an unpacked MV2 extension from your hard-drive. Users who install from the web store won't see that warning.

Hr Gwea

May 21, 2022, 2:35:47 PM5/21/22
to Chromium Extensions

On Sat, May 21, 2022 at 4:39 AM Stryder Crown <stry...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just to be clear though: Developers can't push new versions of their extensions under Mv2 can they. New extensions and new versions of extensions can only be published under Mv3 despite its lack of feature completeness and production readiness or did I misunderstand?

MV2 extensions can still be updated as MV2 until January 2023.

Joshua Hofstad

May 23, 2022, 4:34:46 AM5/23/22
to Chromium Extensions, hrg...@gmail.com, Stryder, Chromium Extensions, Joshua Hofstad, salem...@gmail.com
This looks to be the case, thanks for confirming. Lost in translation issue with our customer who thought they were installing from Marketplace. Thanks all for the answers!

Ali LAGHZAL

Mar 21, 2023, 8:24:24 AM3/21/23
to Chromium Extensions, Joshua Hofstad, hrg...@gmail.com, Stryder, Chromium Extensions, salem...@gmail.com
Good Day for everyone, Just o have a problem with this extensions message,
Please if you have any solution:
"Manifest version 2 is deprecated, and support will be removed in 2023. See https://developer.chrome.com/blog/mv2-transition/ for more details.

Oliver Dunk

Mar 21, 2023, 8:34:31 AM3/21/23
to Ali LAGHZAL, Chromium Extensions, Joshua Hofstad, hrg...@gmail.com, Stryder, salem...@gmail.com
Hi Ali,

As mentioned previously in the thread, this is just a warning for now. Eventually you'll want to migrate to Manifest V3 but you don't need to worry about this warning short term.
Oliver Dunk | DevRel, Chrome Extensions | https://developer.chrome.com/ | London, GB