Unable to see icon under chrome://extensions/

Nathan Pierce

Oct 2, 2022, 11:45:52 AMOct 2
to Chromium Extensions
​Here is my manifest.json:

{
"name": "Vertically Listed Tabs",
"description": "Manage your tabs vertically!",
"version": "0.2.1",
"manifest_version": 3,
"permissions": ["tabs","favicon","storage"],
"action": {
"default_title": "Open the VLT panel window.",
"default_icon": {
"16": "img/favicon-16x16.png",
"32": "img/favicon-32x32.png",
"48": "img/favicon-48x48.png",
"128": "img/favicon-128x128.png"
}
},
"background": {
"service_worker": "background.js",
"type": "module"
},
"options_ui": {
"page": "options/options.html",
"open_in_tab": true
}
}

The files are png and look fine.

1.png

Yet, the in the extensions page (and I've tried Removing and re-loading multiple times), I don't see anything but some default gray icon with a V in it.

2.png

Stefan vd

Oct 2, 2022, 11:49:33 AMOct 2
to Chromium Extensions, nors...@gmail.com
Hi there,

You must use this in your manifest:
"icons": {
"16": "img/favicon-16x16.png",
"32": "img/favicon-32x32.png",
"48": "img/favicon-48x48.png",
"128": "img/favicon-128x128.png"
},

The "default_icon" is for the icon only in your Chrome toolbar.

Thanks,
Stefan vd

Nathan Pierce

Oct 2, 2022, 11:51:30 AMOct 2
to Chromium Extensions, Stefan vd, Nathan Pierce
Still no change.

{
[...]

I fully unloaded and loaded after the change

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 11.50.51 AM.png

Stefan vd

Oct 2, 2022, 11:55:45 AMOct 2
to Chromium Extensions, nors...@gmail.com, Stefan vd
Hi there,

Do you have a public GitHub URL with your extension files?
I am happy to investigate that matter now.

Thanks,
Stefan vd

Nathan Pierce

Oct 2, 2022, 12:03:41 PMOct 2
to Chromium Extensions, Stefan vd, Nathan Pierce
No, I'd like to keep it private for now. Isn't this purely a manifest issue? What in the code are you thinking is causing it?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Stefan vd

Oct 2, 2022, 12:45:56 PMOct 2
to Chromium Extensions, nors...@gmail.com, Stefan vd
Hi there,

I am using your manifest (with my latest correction). And I can clearly see my S logo on the Chrome://extensions page.
See the ZIP sample file here in the attachment.

Thanks,
Stefan vd

Nathan Pierce

Oct 2, 2022, 3:41:09 PMOct 2
to Chromium Extensions, stefa...@gmail.com, Nathan Pierce
Looks like the pngs I have are not compatible... I tried your png and it worked. Is there any information on how to generate a png that works with extensions?

Stefan Van Damme

Oct 2, 2022, 3:48:19 PMOct 2
to Chromium Extensions, nors...@gmail.com, Stefan Van Damme
Hi there,

I am glad to hear that you see my logo on the Chrome extensions page.

You just need to export it as "png". You can use Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator.
Or the online photo editor https://www.photopea.com/

Thanks,
Stefan vd

Nathan Pierce

Oct 2, 2022, 3:53:35 PMOct 2
to Chromium Extensions, stefa...@gmail.com, Nathan Pierce
Ah, I see what happened. I used a resizing tool that took the 128x128 and generated all of the other sizes but as .ico. I then changed the type to png... Whoops. It's working now when I manually generate pngs :)

Stefan Van Damme

Oct 2, 2022, 3:55:22 PMOct 2
to Chromium Extensions, nors...@gmail.com, Stefan Van Damme
Hi there,