How To Mark Ext As Managed During Dev

avishai lazar

Feb 7, 2022, 10:18:05 AM2/7/22
to Chromium Extensions
When moving from manifest version 2 to 3, webRequest APIs are working only for managed extension.

We are developing a managed extension but I wasn't able to figure out how to mark it as managed during development so I'll be able to test those APIs that are not available anymore in manifest v3.

Thanks in advance,
Avishai

Usama Tahir

Apr 18, 2022, 7:04:10 AM4/18/22
to Chromium Extensions, avish...@gmail.com
Hi,

Any updates regarding creation of managed environment?

I have tried to upload it to Store, so if it gets accepted I will create a managed environment to test the POC of my extension. But I have been getting this response:

Violation reference ID: Yellow Magnesium
Violation: The item does not work.
How to rectify: Ensure that your item is working properly and resubmit it.
Relevant section of the programme policy: Extensions with broken functionality – such as dead sites or non-functioning features – are not allowed.

Any work around for this problem?

For reference: The error message I receive when I try to test extension using "load unpacked" is, "webRequestBlocking is only supported in MV 2" and in the service worker page I am getting this error:

avishai lazar

Apr 18, 2022, 8:24:28 AM4/18/22
to Chromium Extensions, usamam...@gmail.com, avishai lazar
Sadly no progress. But I think they meant it should work on chrome enterprise but I'm not 100% sure.

Nir Nahum

May 3, 2022, 5:53:28 AM5/3/22
to Chromium Extensions, avish...@gmail.com, usamam...@gmail.com
This should work if you force-install (using Windows registry) an extension from localhost
(still, we should have a better way to do that)

Simeon Vincent

May 3, 2022, 11:09:38 PM5/3/22
to Chromium Extensions, Nir Nahum, avish...@gmail.com, usamam...@gmail.com
You can use the --allowlisted-extension-id=<EXTENSION ID> command line flag during development to add your extension to add "the given extension ID to all the permission allowlists." This isn't 100% analogous to force-installing an extension via policies, but it should work for this purpose.

Unfortunately issue 1024211 prevents Manifest V3 extensions from receiving webRequest callbacks after the first time the extension's service worker shuts down, so even with this flag there's still a significant challenge developing against webRequest.

Simeon - @dotproto
Chrome Extensions DevRel