Permission is unknown or URL pattern is malformed.

rozuum app

Feb 19, 2021, 8:37:28 PM2/19/21
to Chromium Extensions
Hi everyone. I would like to ask for help with my extension manifest.

As my extension needs to use cookies, I added "cookies" permission along with the URL I would be setting cookie for.

However no matter how I format the URL or even if I use <all_urls>, I get this error everytime the extension loads:

Permission 'http://www.example.com/' is unknown or URL pattern is malformed.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what could I be doing wrong?

Thank you!

wOxxOm

Feb 20, 2021, 2:07:20 AM2/20/21
to Chromium Extensions, rozu...@gmail.com
Sounds like you're using ManifestV3 in which case the host permissions should be specified separately in "host_permissions".

Here's an example from the link:

"permissions": [
  "tabs",
  "bookmarks"
],
"optional_permissions": [
  "unlimitedStorage"
],
"host_permissions": [
  "*://*/*"
],

wOxxOm

Feb 20, 2021, 2:17:28 AM2/20/21
to Chromium Extensions, wOxxOm, rozu...@gmail.com, sim...@chromium.org
@Simeon, could you retitle https://crbug.com/1154674 to `Prompt to use "host_permissions" when showing errors about URL patterns in ManifestV3 "permissions"` and assign to someone or make it available? If not, someone should probably open a new issue.