Preventing the "Reload this page to use this extension" warning

Jon Howard

Jan 15, 2021, 9:08:22 AMJan 15
to Chromium Extensions
I'm looking at updating my current manifest v2 extension to be more compliant with the more restrictive permissions that are planned as part of the Chrome 88 release and I noticed that when I set the site access permission to run "On click" as opposed to "On all sites". I now get an extra warning message that tells me to "Reload this page to use this extension".

I've noticed that some but oddly not all extensions I've tested with "On click" site access show this warning and I was wondering if anyone knows what the conditions are that cause this message to be displayed and how it's possible to suppress this warning from being displayed (without relying on changing the site access permission).

My initial investigations lead me to think it might be to do with the background script accessing functions that haven't been awarded permission to run (like chrome.cookies) but I've yet to conclusively prove that so any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Jon...

wOxxOm

Jan 16, 2021, 9:24:59 AMJan 16
to Chromium Extensions, j...@easyfundraising.org.uk
Indeed, judging by the ShowAction's source code this warning is displayed when certain actions were blocked, specifically webRequest and scripts pending injection via executeScript.

Jon Howard

Jan 19, 2021, 9:18:27 AMJan 19
to Chromium Extensions, wOxxOm, Jon Howard
Thanks for the info. In my current v2 extension I do use the webRequest api to intercept and report on the affiliate network redirect chain so that's probably it.
8-)