Permanently install chrome extension?

densch123

Oct 16, 2022, 5:37:00 PM10/16/22
to Chromium Extensions
Hi, I built myself an (unpacked) extension for chrome which I can load ithout issue via the
"chrome://extensions"->"load unpacked extensioN" way.

However whenever the browser is closed and reopened, the extension is gone and I need to reinstall it.
which sucks.

How can I permanently isntall it, so it is still there even after closing browser and such?
like any extension ever?

for the record, I dont wanna submit it to the chrome store, both cause A) it costs money (damn those csharks when firefox does it for free. and they only allow credit card anyway and I#m not one of theose idiots that pay for a credit card monthly when bank accounts are free)
and B)
what it does is literally llimited to one site and does something that helps me with my little programming thing but wouldnt help anyone else, so no point in "making it public".

so yeah, can I somehow permanently isntall it woithout it being in the damn chrome store?

for the record, I use windows and my browser is chrome.
the extension uses manifest version 3.

Robbi

Oct 16, 2022, 5:55:26 PM10/16/22
to Chromium Extensions, schue...@gmail.com
"However whenever the browser is closed and reopened, the extension is gone and I need to reinstall it.
which sucks."
You couldn't be more right.

You could switch to FlashPeak Slimjet browser or SRWare Iron browser.
With this latter you hardly notice the differences with Chrome

densch123

Oct 16, 2022, 6:12:15 PM10/16/22
to Chromium Extensions, Robbi, densch123
hm, everything is now aimed towards chrome, dont really wanna change browser if it can be avoided...

Robbi

Oct 17, 2022, 4:44:33 AM10/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, schue...@gmail.com, Robbi
redOrBlue.png
        Left choice                                                      Right choice

There is a third alternative; write a letter to Santa Claus

Stefan Van Damme

Oct 17, 2022, 4:45:27 AM10/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, schue...@gmail.com, Robbi
Hi there,

|| However whenever the browser is closed and reopened, the extension is gone and I need to reinstall it.
I understand this frustration. That is for security reasons. For example, to prevent bad developers from using not safe Chrome extension (that is not on the Chrome Web Store) each time you open the Chrome web browser.

You can publish your browser extension on the Microsoft Edge add-ons page or Opera add-ons page,  Firefox add-ons which is free.

Stefan Van Damme

Oct 17, 2022, 4:49:54 AM10/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, Stefan Van Damme, schue...@gmail.com, Robbi
Hi there,

Note: Previously it was free to create a developer account in Chrome Web Store, but the 5 USD is to prevent spam developers from creating an account.

Thanks,
Stefan vd

Robbi

Oct 17, 2022, 5:07:09 AM10/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, stefa...@gmail.com, schue...@gmail.com, Robbi
@Stefan, can you explain to us why Edge and Opera allow the installation of extensions from the Chrome Web Store
whereas Chrome does not allow the reverse thing (installation from the Edge and Opera stores)?

Stefan Van Damme

Oct 17, 2022, 5:27:46 AM10/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, Robbi, Stefan Van Damme, schue...@gmail.com
Hi Robbi,

That is a good question.
Microsoft Edge and Opera is using the Chromium web browser. So they use all the same web rendering and extension platform code. Google Chrome Web Store was first then the other web browsers open its store.
However, it is Google's decision to allow only the Chrome Web Store for its Chrome web browser. It may be for security reasons to avoid manipulation of the stores.

Thanks,
Stefan vd

Robbi

Oct 17, 2022, 5:52:46 AM10/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, stefa...@gmail.com, Robbi, schue...@gmail.com
I am more inclined to think that if Google had opened the installation from other stores it would have likely seen the 5 bucks cash flow cutted off.
Or maybe we have to think that Microsoft or Opera are not as far-sighted as Google is about security issues or stores manipulation?
To avoid spam\fake developers, big G could have thought of a no-charge credit card registration.
I mean free for the first account and then paid for subsequent accounts linked to the same credit card number.

Stefan Van Damme

Oct 17, 2022, 8:34:39 AM10/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, Robbi, Stefan Van Damme, schue...@gmail.com
Hi Robbi,

History of the fee in the Chrome Web Store:
Here are the articles that have had this 5 USD fee since the year 2010 and then in 2020 for all Chrome developers who have never published an item to the public:
https://blog.chromium.org/2010/08/security-improvements-and-registration.html

I also believe in an open market/store (which is good for the users and developers). Even on Android, you can install Amazon Appstore apps than only Google Play Store apps.

Thanks,
Stefan vd

Jackie Han

Oct 17, 2022, 12:24:02 PM10/17/22
to Stefan Van Damme, Chromium Extensions, Robbi, schue...@gmail.com
I have not published an extension for Safari. Does it need an Apple Developer Membership ($99 per year)?

Stefan Van Damme

Oct 17, 2022, 12:38:15 PM10/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han, Chromium Extensions, Robbi, schue...@gmail.com, Stefan Van Damme
Hi Jackie,

Yes, every year it is 99 USD.
I have my Turn Off the Lights for Safari extension (free and Open-Source) on the App Store. Before Apple Safari extension was free to publish but not anymore since the year 2015.

Thanks,
Stefan vd

Jackie Han

Oct 17, 2022, 12:45:16 PM10/17/22
to Stefan Van Damme, Chromium Extensions, Robbi, schue...@gmail.com
Thanks for your information!
I'm not sure I can make money from Safari to offset this expense.

Stefan Van Damme

Oct 17, 2022, 12:56:05 PM10/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han, Chromium Extensions, Robbi, schue...@gmail.com, Stefan Van Damme
Hi Jackie,

|| Thanks for your information!
You are welcome! Yes, it is a premium platform, but you can ask for a price for your Safari extension (=app) in the Apple Store. However, 15% of that price is for Apple.
Another thing, if you are a nonprofit organization you can publish it for free.

hrg...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2022, 2:02:11 PM10/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, stefa...@gmail.com, Jackie Han, Chromium Extensions, Robbi, schue...@gmail.com
I cannot reproduce this issue.
I have two unpacked extensions installed and they both remain installed after closing and reopening the browser.

densch123

Oct 17, 2022, 4:28:44 PM10/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, stefa...@gmail.com
yeah, they only accept shitt credit card though. and I am living in a country where we arent dumb af and waste tons of money on paying fees for credit cards when bank accounts are literally completely free (if you are smart).

so yeah,. no credit card, cant waste the 5 bucks to install MY OWN FUCKING ADDON PERMANNENTLY.

Fuck google and it's security we-jsut-want-money-in-fact bullshit -.-

Hm, at least for me, "temporary" extensions like the unpacked ones are gone once I close chrome and reopen it :-/

Robbi

Oct 17, 2022, 5:51:12 PM10/17/22
to Chromium Extensions, schue...@gmail.com, stefa...@gmail.com
Hey man why don't you take a deep breath,
stop snorting glue,
try not to be biased
and try to follow the advice that someone (ME) gave you?
Do you want your extension not to vanish after every browser restart, right?
Give Iron browser a chance;
What does it cost you to install a new browser and make a try?
Who knows how many you have already installed, and then if you really don't like it you can always uninstall it and...
...do not mention it!

Ismail Vega

Mar 30, 2023, 2:33:56 PM3/30/23
to Chromium Extensions, Robbi, schue...@gmail.com, stefa...@gmail.com
What happens if I want to pay the feed to register my account and publish my extension but, there is no option for my country(Uruguay) I know that unsupported countries blablabla... but why is Venezuela there for example(0nly mentioned as an example anything else in mind) that have problems paying with USD, and I get paid in USD. It is not only frustrating but non-logical, is there any steps to apply for inclusion of my country on this "List"?
Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 19.15.39.png

Simeon Vincent

Mar 30, 2023, 8:01:18 PM3/30/23
to Ismail Vega, Chromium Extensions, Robbi, schue...@gmail.com, stefa...@gmail.com
To my knowledge the list of countries in the registration UI is the set supported by the Chrome Web Store's payment processor. In other words, they don't take payments from other countries because they can't. Similarly, I believe that the set of information the payment screen asks for is directly tied to the credit card verification requirements for that country. For example, if the country option is set to "United States", the form will also ask for your zip code.

If your country isn't supported, you can work around this limitation by using a Visa gift card. This article from GiftCards.com appears to have some helpful guidance on how to set the billing address on a card in case you have to provide a zip code when using the card.

Simeon - @dotproto

Ismail Vega

Mar 30, 2023, 8:34:33 PM3/30/23
to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions, Robbi, schue...@gmail.com, stefa...@gmail.com
Hello Simeon, thanks for letting me know 😊
I managed to paid my feed using an old thread about a bug on that dropdown list.
For example I created a credit card with my correct card information but fake data from a visible country and saved it, then I went back to create a new one and my country was available wtf? Lol I was able to paid the feed with my credit card at the end

Deco

Mar 30, 2023, 9:20:59 PM3/30/23
to densch123, Chromium Extensions
In order to keep persistent extensions that are unloaded, you cannot assign it a key in the manifest. Delete this if it's assigned and it will work.

Cheers,
Deco

Don Schmitt

Apr 9, 2023, 4:31:50 PM4/9/23
to Deco, densch123, Chromium Extensions
Regarding the original question:  Chrome doesn't unload unpacked extensions on shutdown.  Even if they have a key. I've been working this way for a decade.

So I am curious why this happens to you. Are you doing something to launch with a fresh user profile?  Extensions do get