Sidebar open() onInstalled

Andrew Nelson

May 29, 2024, 1:17:51 PMMay 29
to Chromium Extensions
I'd love the ability to open the sidebar on install.

For my purposes, it'd be useful for both `install` and `update`, but at the very least I think it should be supported on initial install, since the user is actively installing the extension, and I think that fits into the idea that the user should have done some gesture to cause the sidebar to open. This could help with encouraging them to sign in or perform any sort of onboarding.

Patrick Kettner

May 30, 2024, 10:55:34 AMMay 30
to Andrew Nelson, Chromium Extensions
Hey Andrew
One option would be adding a chrome.runtime.onInstalled listener that opens an onboarding  page in your extension's package that explains what it is and how to use it. Obviously not what you are asking for, but may be a middle ground?

patrick

On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 1:17 PM 'Andrew Nelson' via Chromium Extensions <chromium-...@chromium.org> wrote:
I'd love the ability to open the sidebar on install.

For my purposes, it'd be useful for both `install` and `update`, but at the very least I think it should be supported on initial install, since the user is actively installing the extension, and I think that fits into the idea that the user should have done some gesture to cause the sidebar to open. This could help with encouraging them to sign in or perform any sort of onboarding.

Andrew Nelson

May 30, 2024, 12:07:39 PMMay 30
to Chromium Extensions, Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions, Andrew Nelson
Yeah, that's what I'm currently doing, just thought the sidebar would be a bit nicer of an experience than opening a new tab or window.