Why is "percentage rollout" disabled after approval?

Ajay Goel

Jun 8, 2024, 2:20:51 PMJun 8
to Chromium Extensions
Hi there,

I submitted the Manifest V3 version of my extension for approval and chose the option so that it's NOT immediately published upon approval, so that I can control when it goes live. The version has been approved, and now I'd like to set a 5% rollout, but that option is disabled:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/scl/fi/s3gekeqk6mj6wzximjfxp/chrome_RY5QriM6eH.png?rlkey=u1jsude74ra0u45n7c9rsfiuq&dl=0

Can I not use this option after approval but before publishing?

Jordi Salvat i Alabart

Jun 11, 2024, 3:37:54 AMJun 11
to Chromium Extensions, Ajay Goel
The field to change the % after approval is in the "Package" section: https://developer.chrome.com/docs/webstore/update#update-rollout

Note that it's only available for extensions with at least 10K users.

Salut,

Jordi

El dia dissabte, 8 de juny del 2024 a les 20:20:51 UTC+2, Ajay Goel va escriure:

Zach Warneke

Jun 11, 2024, 1:45:35 PMJun 11
to Chromium Extensions, Jordi Salvat i Alabart, Ajay Goel
Hi,

> The version has been approved, and now I'd like to set a 5% rollout, but that option is disabled
> Can I not use this option after approval but before publishing?

That's correct, you can't make any item updates after submitting for review but before publishing. This is an unfortunate technical limitation to prevent publishing unreviewed changes.

To get around this, you'll need to set the initial rollout percentage on the distribution page *prior* to submitting for review (even if you're using the deferred publish option). If you'd like to set a rollout percentage for your currently-staged version, you'll need to:
  1. Click "cancel publish" from the "..." menu
  2. Set the initial rollout % on the distribution page
  3. Click save and re-submit (which means you'll have to go through review again, unfortunately)
After publishing, you can update the live rollout % in the package page as the above comment mentioned. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Zach

Ajay Goel

Jun 12, 2024, 4:37:01 PMJun 12
to Chromium Extensions, Zach Warneke, Jordi Salvat i Alabart, Ajay Goel
Got it, thanks for the information Zach. And thanks Jordi for responding.