Chrome Web Store still not accepting MV3 extensions

bradley cushing

Jan 21, 2021, 11:30:06 AM1/21/21
to Chromium Extensions
I've tried uploading an MV3 extension to the Chrome Web Store to test some things out but I'm still getting an error message after upload that Manifest Version 3 extensions aren't supported and to please use Manifest Version 2. It's been communicated that this should be possible since the Chrome 88 release a few days ago. (https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2021/01/nic88#mv3) Are you able to provide more information on when the CWS will be accepting MV3 extensions?
Message has been deleted

Simeon Vincent

Jan 21, 2021, 3:03:16 PM1/21/21
to Kos, Chromium Extensions, bradley...@gmail.com
Are you able to provide more information on when the CWS will be accepting MV3 extensions?

We're planning to start accepting extensions before the end of January. I don't want to give a specific date just in case something comes up and we need a bit of wiggle room.

Apologies for the confusion. The language in that post is a bit more ambitious than I would have liked. I'll take the blame on our messaging here; there were a couple misunderstandings between teams and I should have double checked that all of our I's were dotted and T's crossed. I'll see if we can fix that text to better reflect our timelines.

Kos, please keep your comments respectful and constructive as required by the Chromium Code of Conduct. Sustained disruption or derailing of threads is not permitted. Consider this a warning.

Cheers,

Simeon - @dotproto
Chrome Extensions DevRel

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 11:42 AM Kos <kpla...@gmail.com> wrote:
What do you mean, you're saying Google lied to developeres? Noooooo way

On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 6:30:06 PM UTC+2 bradley...@gmail.com wrote:
I've tried uploading an MV3 extension to the Chrome Web Store to test some things out but I'm still getting an error message after upload that Manifest Version 3 extensions aren't supported and to please use Manifest Version 2. It's been communicated that this should be possible since the Chrome 88 release a few days ago. (https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2021/01/nic88#mv3) Are you able to provide more information on when the CWS will be accepting MV3 extensions?

bradcush

Jan 21, 2021, 3:46:15 PM1/21/21
to Chromium Extensions, Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions, bradcush
Ok thanks for clarifying and for the quick reply Simeon!

If I could throw one more question in there... :) What position does CWS take on extensions that are submitted and include use around APIs that are still in preview or dev. Will these extensions be accepted and is it just up to developers to make sure this is communicated to any potential user. From a testing and distribution perspective I see value in being able to submit something as either private/unlisted that uses not yet stable APIs so users on either the Canary or Dev channels can still get it from CWS including updates. Thanks again in advance!

Simeon Vincent

Jan 21, 2021, 4:27:51 PM1/21/21
to Chromium Extensions, bradley...@gmail.com, Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions
I'm not aware of any specific prohibitions against this, but I should note that I have seen extensions rejected for not working as expected.

If you want to go this route I recommend clearly stating in your extensions description that this is a development build and it will only work on specific Chrome channels. Kind of messaging will help set expectations for both the reviewer and unsuspecting users. I'd also encourage you to consider ways to gracefully fallback when a capability is not available and/or notify the user as quickly as possible that the extension will not work because their browser does not support the required capabilities.

Cheers,

Simeon - @dotproto
Chrome Extensions DevRel

bradcush

Jan 21, 2021, 6:21:48 PM1/21/21
to Chromium Extensions, bradcush, Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions
Makes sense, will definitely fallback. I was more worried about simply declaring the permission and having is referenced in the codebase. Thanks!