Read your browsing history permission

Atul Moglewar

Dec 22, 2014, 12:26:14 PM12/22/14
to chromium-...@chromium.org
Hi,

I have an extension which has only "tabs" manifest entry for permissions. When user tries to download this extension, he is presented with the Permission Warnings dialog which says extension can: "Read your browsing history". This page https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/permission_warnings says, for "tabs" manifest entry the permission warning shown is "Access your browsing activity". Why does in my case its showing dialog with warning "Read your browsing history"?

In any case, my extension just creates new tab. It just doesn't read any browsing data, why should chrome show such a dialog?

Thanks.

Reilly Grant

Dec 22, 2014, 2:06:45 PM12/22/14
to Atul Moglewar, chromium-...@chromium.org
The permission warning is "Read your browsing history" because an extension with the "tabs" permission is notified of every URL visited by the user through the chrome.tabs.onUpdated event. This is roughly equivalent to accessing browser history.

Oren Zomer

Feb 2, 2018, 4:38:27 PM2/2/18
to Chromium-Extensions-Announce, atulmo...@gmail.com, rei...@chromium.org
Hi,
I just stumbled this post before installing a new chrome extension.
This chrome extension is relevant to a very specific list of websites (specifically, Israeli news websites), and I don't want to give it access to all of my browsing history - so I did not install the extension.
It would be a good idea to let chrome extensions ask for "browsing history" permissions in a specific list of websites (hostnames), or to let me as a user give the extension that kind of permission only when I browse specific websites, not every website...

Thanks,
Oren