Single purpose Calendar and Tasks

Jason Savard

Apr 27, 2020, 4:30:43 PM4/27/20
to Chromium Extensions
Hi, I am the developer an extension for Google Calendar and I'd like to integrate Google Tasks.

I'd like to confirm before that this will not violate the single purpose policy?

Tasks have been requested by my users because they can have reminder dates in their Google Calendar and because they are already integrated in the Google Calendar website.

Will D

Nov 29, 2020, 7:09:01 PM11/29/20
to Chromium Extensions, Jason Savard
I am wondering why there has been no response to this request from Google.

As a long time user of the above extension, I, and many other users, have been asking for the integration of Google Tasks into the extension now that it is an integral part of Google Calendar.

I've read the single purpose policy guidelines, and would argue that there would be no conflict because the extension would provide a  'single' point of access to Google Calendar's primary calendar functions which include the integrated management of events, tasks and reminders - all of which share major similarities and purposes.

The only difference between the three is the nature of the calendar item and the detail recorded for each. In common, all three have date & time, repeat occurrence, and reminders. If you look at the new item entry in Calendar (in a Chrome browser on a pc), it has one pop-up window with 3 tabs - one for each type (event, task, reminder), which to me strongly suggests that Google sees them in a similar way. Calendar just makes it easier to manage them separately, rather than use events for all 3 types (as I used to).

A calendar, after all, is just a device to record when something is supposed to happen, regardless of whether you classify it as an event, task, or reminder, and the above extension has (would have with the integration of Tasks) the single purpose of providing quick access to these functions.

I'm sure Jason Savard, the developer, would welcome a response from Google as to whether the integration of Tasks (& reminders) would violate the single purpose policy.

Simeon Vincent

Dec 2, 2020, 7:13:51 PM12/2/20
to Will D, Chromium Extensions, Jason Savard
I am wondering why there has been no response to this request from Google. - Will

Short answer: AFAIK I'm the only Googler that would field a question like this posted here, and I'm just one guy with a full plate and an overflowing inbox. Bumping topics you're interested in can help, as was the case here.

More generally, though, I dont we can address every one of these questions for reasons it's probably not worth getting into at the moment (volume of requests, process for fielding these questions, interpretation of feedback as "official approval", policy changes over time, etc.).

Tasks have been requested by my users because they can have reminder dates in their Google Calendar and because they are already integrated in the Google Calendar website.

As one developer (who happens to have more experience with CWS policy than average) to another, this feels well within scope to me. As you said, Calendar already integrates with Tasks, so including task-related functionality in your extension strikes me as directly related to the extension's purpose.

Cheers,

Simeon - @dotproto
Chrome Extensions DevRel