Omnibox install messaging

Jeff B

Oct 21, 2024, 2:56:36 PM (4 days ago) Oct 21
to Chromium Extensions
If an extension has omnibox functionality, then we've noticed that the following message appears in the installation popup message when the extension is installed from the Chrome web store:

To use this extension, type "ob", then TAB, then your command or search.

(Where the omnibox.keyword field in the manifest is set to "ob".)

Since typing the keyword in the omnibox is not the primary way our extension is used, our new users can find this confusing. Is there any way to adjust or remove that message? Or is removing the omnibox key from the manifest the only way to prevent that message from appearing on installation from the Chrome web store?

Thank you!