Slow Chrome Side Panel Loading Times During Migration to MV3

Graham Langford

Apr 18, 2024, 10:46:37 AMApr 18
to Chromium Extensions
Hello,

We are transitioning from Manifest V2 to V3 and shifting from an embedded sidebar to the Chrome Side Panel. During testing, we've experienced significant delays in side panel content loading, especially upon first install or with multiple open tabs. This delay starts from initiating chrome.sidePanel.open to the actual HTML rendering, leading to a prolonged display of a grey (or theme-based color) screen.

Could anyone share best practices or insights to enhance loading times? Are there any known performance issues with the side panel API that we should be aware of?

For more details, please view our issue on GitHub: Pixiebrix-extension issue #8168.

Thanks,
Graham

Jackie Han

Apr 18, 2024, 11:26:26 AMApr 18
to Graham Langford, Chromium Extensions
Does your side panel load any remote resource (like an image or other resource)?
I reported a bug last year. It looks like the browser displays the page after loading all resources.

Jackie Han

Apr 18, 2024, 11:38:31 AMApr 18
to Graham Langford, Chromium Extensions
I see you load remote google font as css, that may be the cause of the problem.

Jackie Han

Apr 19, 2024, 2:50:37 PMApr 19
to Eduardo Fungairino, Chromium Extensions, Graham Langford
I see your loadFont.js. It async render, but not async loads. The side panel still waits for it. You can try to remove google font completely for a test. I don't know if there are other remote resources.
Finally, if google font is the cause, you can put font files in the extension.

On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 1:05 AM Eduardo Fungairino <edu...@pixiebrix.com> wrote:
We actually recently made a change to defer loading the fonts via a script

Unfortunately we still see the same latency issue sometimes where the sidebar takes a while to even start loading the html. But it seems like it's worth a shot to move the fonts locally to see how that affects latency.

Eduardo Fungairino

Apr 19, 2024, 3:54:58 PMApr 19
to Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han, Chromium Extensions, Graham Langford
For reference, here is a recording of the issue (specifically the extended period of grey screen in the sidebar).

Eduardo Fungairino