Publisher account suspended on my first submission without a rejection letter

Mabel Watkins

Aug 7, 2020, 8:30:24 PM8/7/20
to Chromium Extensions
My first extension that I've submitted has been rejected and my account has been suspended without any reasoning given regarding why. Any help would be much appreciated.
Extension ID: npccfjfmiekdnhjhekkjphmbnppdginl

Mabel Watkins

Aug 10, 2020, 6:04:58 AM8/10/20
to Chromium Extensions
Any help?

Amy Dev

Aug 10, 2020, 5:37:46 PM8/10/20
to Chromium Extensions
Hi Mabel,

Here's a video in case you need more help knowing how to fill it out https://youtu.be/Qw4ht3hcGzU

Hope this helps,
Amy
@Jackandamydev <--- feel free to DM me on twitter

Mabel Watkins

Aug 11, 2020, 12:30:20 PM8/11/20
to Chromium Extensions
Hey, Amy.
I've already done that the day I've created this post. I haven't received a single e-mail back from them ever since.

Simeon Vincent

Aug 12, 2020, 1:33:08 AM8/12/20
to Mabel Watkins, Chromium Extensions
Mabel,

How long ago was that? Can you share the ID of your support case?

Simeon - @dotproto
Developer Advocate for Chrome Extensions

Mabel Watkins

Simeon Vincent

Aug 13, 2020, 5:25:45 PM8/13/20
to Mabel Watkins, Chromium Extensions
Mabel,

Your submission was identified as malware. Because of this classification I can't go into any additional detail about the violation. This account will remain suspended indefinitely.

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 5:23 AM Mabel Watkins <mabelw...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Mabel Watkins

Aug 14, 2020, 12:22:58 PM8/14/20
to Chromium Extensions, Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions, Mabel Watkins

Hey Simeon,
I can guarantee you that there's nothing malicious in the extension. I believe this is an issue with the automated scan process involved in the publishing process. Please read & analyze the code yourself to make sure. I'm sure this issue is affecting multiple developers whom legitimately develop applications for your platform.
I would also appreciate it if you could point out what section of the code was flagged. As user data is not transmitted AT ALL.

Vic Gor

Aug 17, 2020, 4:05:46 AM8/17/20
to Chromium Extensions
Hi, my account is blocked and I can't understand why. My extension had 90k + installations, it was placed in the webstore for a long time and there were no problems. Maybe the situation with covid19 influenced this decision, I noticed that since the beginning of the pandemic, many topics have appeared on the forum with the problem of passing the extension moderation and bans of the developer's accounts.

Victor Szelagowski

Jun 14, 2021, 8:31:40 AM6/14/21
to Chromium Extensions, Mabel Watkins
Hi Mabel,

We are in the same situation and no information about what is "malicious" in wha we do..
Could you find any solution to get your extension published ? If yes, I would appreciate you to share your feedbacks.

Thibault

Simeon Vincent

Jun 15, 2021, 7:43:08 PM6/15/21
to Chromium Extensions, victor.sz...@oliverlist.com, Mabel Watkins
Thibault, if you believe the that your extension was incorrectly flagged you can use the developer support form to appeal a review verdict.

Simeon - @dotproto
Chrome Extensions DevRel

Victor Szelagowski

Jun 22, 2021, 12:30:22 PM6/22/21
to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions
Hi Simeon,

Thanks a lot for your answer, I hope we can find a solution together.

We have already filled in this form, but the answer was quite vague and said that our extension was rejected for engaging in malicious activities harmful to users.

We don't have any malicious activities, we only easier automations with Oliverlist by automatically retrieving session cookies.

We have fixed quite a few things in the extension code and provided more information in the questions requested in the developer dashboard.

We tried to send back the Oliverlist extension ID: iepblkhcdlndhlcenpceaphkjedimijh for review, but our account appears to be suspended.

Could you please confirm what the procedure is for submitting the extension for review following the changes made? Please know that our entire company is totally dependent on the release of this extension, and we will be very responsive if you have specific objections.

Thanks a lot for your help !

Victor

Victor Szelagowski

Jun 23, 2021, 11:09:42 AM6/23/21
to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions
Hi Simeon,

How are you doing ?
Could you see my last email ? Sorry to bother, we are stuck at this stage and pretty worry about time without our extension published..

Thanks for your help !
Victor.

Victor Szelagowski

Jun 25, 2021, 3:51:57 AM6/25/21
to Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions
Hello,

Sorry to ask you again, but we have no news from you and the subject is very urgent for us... Could you help us?

Thanks
Victor

Simeon Vincent

Jun 29, 2021, 7:28:55 PM6/29/21
to Chromium Extensions, victor.sz...@oliverlist.com, Chromium Extensions
Victor,

The Chrome Web Store review team is responsible for review and enforcement. As such, I cannot intervene. I can, though, provide general guidance.

Since this is a review issue, your best your best course is to communicate with the review team using the case that you've already opened. In a previous message in this thread you noted that they've provided enough information; in that case you should reply to the case's email thread and request clarification.

The appeals process allows developers to argue for why they believe the verdict is a mistake. As such, I'd recommend providing more information in the appeal to explain how the extension works and how you handle user data. If you use any 3rd party code, I'd also encourage you to audit it to verify that it does not mishandle user data.

In a previous message in this thread you stated that you "don't have any malicious activities, we only easier automations with Oliverlist by automatically retrieving session cookies." I would argue that the practice of collection a user's session cookies is itself a malicious activity. As such, I strongly suspect that this is the reason for your extension's rejection and account's suspension. If you wish to appeal this verdict, I expect that you will have to convince the review team that this is the only viable way your experience can work. Otherwise the rejection and suspension will be upheld.

Simeon - @dotproto
Chrome Extensions DevRel