Sidepanel must be opened in response to a user gesture

Cory Cooper

3:16 PM (2 hours ago) 3:16 PM
to Chromium Extensions
After Chrome 127, some users and developer are seeing the following error:
sidePanel.open()` may only be called in response to a user gesture

We open the sidepanel from clicks in the content script and our web app app Scribehow.com and they no longer work in Chrome 127. The documentation says that you should be able to trigger an open from a click in the content script.

This appears to be a bug in a change behind some flag (not everyone can reproduce).

We're suspicious of this deprecation given the language around "3rd party storage and communications".

Any help is appreciated.

Eduardo Fungairino

3:26 PM (2 hours ago) 3:26 PM
to Chromium Extensions, Cory Cooper
We are observing the same behavior in our extension, our e2e test that opens the sidepanel based on user gesture is consistently failing.

Todd Schiller

5:09 PM (17 minutes ago) 5:09 PM
to Eduardo Fungairino, Chromium Extensions, Cory Cooper
We've opened a bug ticket because we also see Chrome crash consistently when a user gesture is performed for some users on Version 127.0.6533.73 (Official Build) (arm64): https://issues.chromium.org/issues/355266358