Omnibox code example

Uladzimir Yankovich

Sep 27, 2022, 12:49:49 PMSep 27
to Chromium Extensions
Colleagues, hello. Can anyone tell me a ready-made example or hint on where to look for a ready-made piece of code for a browser extension that exactly repeats the behavior of Crome's omnibox?

If anyone suddenly has such a code for sale - I'd be happy to discuss it.

wOxxOm

Sep 28, 2022, 7:59:38 AMSep 28
to Chromium Extensions, yank...@manganum.app
FWIW, you can look at the built-in implementation of the search input on the start tab page which behaves probably the same. It's in typescript: https://crsrc.org/chrome/browser/resources/new_tab_page/realbox/

Uladzimir Yankovich

Sep 28, 2022, 9:15:06 AMSep 28
to Chromium Extensions, wOxxOm, Uladzimir Yankovich
wOxxOm, thank you very much! First, for the link to the codebase. And secondly, for never guessing that the input field on the new tab is called realbox, I was sure it was omnibox :)

wOxxOm

Sep 28, 2022, 11:23:37 AMSep 28
to Chromium Extensions, yank...@manganum.app, wOxxOm
The one on the top is the omnibox. The one inside the start page was a fakebox in the past and just redirected to the omnibox when something was typed inside. Recently they've ported some of the functionality of omnibox from C++ to JS/typescript to mimic the real omnibox inside the start page, so now it's not a fakebox anymore, it's realbox.

Uladzimir Yankovich

Sep 28, 2022, 4:37:34 PMSep 28
to Chromium Extensions, wOxxOm, Uladzimir Yankovich
Same as usual 🤣

So far, the Chromium repository has been too complicated for me; I don't think I can handle it. But I found the Mozilla documentation; I can do it - https://udn.realityripple.com/docs/Mozilla/Tech/Places/Frecency_algorithm