Programmatically control width of sidePanel in Chrome Extension?

Diego Orofino

Mar 26, 2024, 10:18:47 PMMar 26
to Chromium Extensions
0

Im making a Chrome Extension using the sidePanel API: https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/reference/sidePanel/

Is there a way set the width of the side panel programmatically? I'd like to increase the width of the panel when a button within the extension is clicked.

Jackie Han

Mar 26, 2024, 11:04:53 PMMar 26
to Diego Orofino, Chromium Extensions
There was much feedback about the width and minimum width of the side panel.

In short, they know this feature request, but there are no updates. Like this reply:
In general, we have to work closely with other teams on this feature (since it is used by many Chrome features too) but we're continuing to discuss if we can give extension developers any more flexibility. I know it may not look like anything has happened but I promise we are discussing internally - just trying to prioritise alongside everything else

Diego Orofino

Mar 27, 2024, 6:09:22 AMMar 27
to Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han, Chromium Extensions, Diego Orofino
Thank you, Jack, Hopely soon.
This is a must to have feature.

Patrick Kettner

Mar 27, 2024, 12:09:33 PMMar 27
to Diego Orofino, Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han
Thanks Diego and Jackie!
Just wanted to make sure it was clear this is still something we are discussing as a team.

patrick

Jack Crane

Jun 13, 2024, 6:10:16 AMJun 13
to Chromium Extensions, Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions, Jackie Han, Diego Orofino
Hi,

Any update on this, the width is dramatically too wide for most use cases. If it needs a minimum width then something like 100 or 150 would be more acceptable, but I really believe this is something that should be controlled dynamically by the extension developer.

We have dynamically changing requirements depending on different conditions. We would like to be able to set the minimum width for those situations. I agree that 360 may be a minimum width for some use cases, but for others it makes the UI clunky.

thanks,
Jack