Extension does not initialize after upgrade to Manifest V3... in non-US regions

Ethan Ferrari

5:03 AM (7 hours ago) 5:03 AM
to Chromium Extensions
On July 2 we officially upgraded from MV2 to MV3. We submitted in early-June, and after QA'ing internally with the signed extension, we published the extension update at about 11am CT on July 2. About 7pm CT, we started getting reports from our Singapore users that the application was unresponsive. Our app relies on the extension, it cannot function without it (extension is a sidecar for an internal enterprise web app). I confirmed it was published successfully and that the published ID matched the ID in our code. I also confirmed it worked correctly in the US (where we QA'd it before publishing). When I Zoomed with a support engineer in Singapore, I opened the Chrome Dev tools and attempted to call the extension manually using the `chrome.runtime.sendMessage` API. The extension was unresponsive. In an effort to debug the extension, I then opened [chrome://extensions](chrome://extensions) with the intention of inspecting the running worker code and injecting a breakpoint. However, I observed the service worker was inactive and therefore I could not inspect it. Next, I navigated to [chrome://serviceworker-internals/](chrome://serviceworker-internals/), where the service worker was not even listed. Back in chrome://extensions, I removed the extension and re-installed it, but that did not solve the issue. Ultimately, I had to roll back the extension to the previous version with MV2, and instruct all users to force update their extensions using chrome://extensions->enable "Developer mode"->Update.
I posted to https://issues.chromium.org/issues/40805401?pli=1 and sent an email to chromewebstor...@google.com requesting an extension for us on the Manifest v3 migration mandate, but was directed here.

I've been unable to find other reports of this issue. Is there anyone tracking this yet?