MV2 June 2023 deadline under review, any news?

Manvel Saroyan

May 23, 2023, 8:56:00 AM5/23/23
to Chromium Extensions
According to https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/migrating/mv2-sunset/ deadline for all existing Manifest V2 items with visibility set to Public at that time will have their visibility changed to Unlisted, which is 1 week from now is under review. Is there any update to that?

Have an extension, with around 900 users weekly visiting the public listing, which yet can't be migrated to MV3, because of User scripts execution not being available in Chrome yet, at least as far as I know the specs are ready, but browsers still need to implement it. Currently anxious about the timing and hope to make the extension somehow compatible with MV3 in future without losing SEO ranking.

Any news on timing and relevant info about User scripts implementation ETA will help on this stage.
Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 3.35.15 PM.png

Sebastian Benz

May 23, 2023, 9:08:07 AM5/23/23
to Manvel Saroyan, Chromium Extensions
Hi Manvel,

the MV2 deprecation is currently on pause and there are no updates yet on a new timeline. You can find more detail in this year's I/O talk. You can also find a list of things we plan to address before announcing a new timeline on the MV3 known issues page (this includes user script support).

Hope that helps,

Sebastian

Dr. Sebastian Benz

Chrome Developer Relations

sb...@google.com

Google Germany GmbH

Erika-Mann-Straße 33

80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Liana Sebastian

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Falls Sie diese fälschlicherweise erhalten haben sollten, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht an jemand anderes weiter, löschen Sie alle Kopien und Anhänge davon und lassen Sie mich bitte wissen, dass die E-Mail an die falsche Person gesendet wurde.

This e-mail is confidential. If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else, please erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it has gone to the wrong person.

Manvel Saroyan

May 23, 2023, 9:53:09 AM5/23/23
to Chromium Extensions, Sebastian Benz, Chromium Extensions, Manvel Saroyan
Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the prompt reply, this definitely helps. According to the commitment section of talk it seems like deadline mentioned above will at least be extended for 6months after the known issues you mentioned are fixed. This should be enough for my use-case and the timeline sounds reasonable to me for the extensions that only support Chromium.

Thanks,
Manvel

Simeon Vincent

May 23, 2023, 4:37:17 PM5/23/23
to Manvel Saroyan, Chromium Extensions, Sebastian Benz
It's a bit hard to see, but all of the support timeline dates on or after 2023 are crossed out and labeled either "Postponed" or "Under review".

Chromies, it would be great if this table could be updated to more clearly communicate the current status of the migration timeline. If nothing else, making the date for a set of changes normal weight and making "under review" bold might help with legibility. I just opened PR 6400 to address this.

Simeon - @dotproto
incremental.software

Patrick Kettner

May 26, 2023, 6:44:48 PM5/26/23
to Simeon Vincent, Manvel Saroyan, Chromium Extensions, Sebastian Benz
agreed, i'll add it to our docs bugs to take care of - thanks Simeon!