Is adding "storage" permission cause any disabling or warning prompt for the existing extension?

Lu Xu

Jun 14, 2021, 1:11:47 PM6/14/21
to Chromium Extensions
Hi everyone,
My company has an extension which has a lot existing users.

About 3 years ago, we added the "downloads" in the "permission" directly, and it caused the existing user's "unpleasant experience". Their extensions were disabled automatically and users needed to consent the permission

Now I would like to add "storage" permission. So I am wondering is the above case still applies today. If that is still true, I am afraid "optional_permission" is a better place

Roberto Oneto

Jun 14, 2021, 1:14:56 PM6/14/21
to Chromium Extensions, thus...@gmail.com

Hi, read this post: LINK

Simeon Vincent

Jun 14, 2021, 1:28:56 PM6/14/21
to Roberto Oneto, Chromium Extensions, thus...@gmail.com
Alas, I linked to the wrong page in that other thread. I should have linked to the table of permissions with warnings on the Declare permissions and warn users page.

Anyway, storage doesn't require a user grant, so you should be fine, Lu.

Simeon - @dotproto
Chrome Extensions DevRel

Lu Xu

Jun 14, 2021, 1:35:09 PM6/14/21
to Chromium Extensions, Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions, Lu Xu, rob...@gmail.com
Hi Simeon and rob, thanks a lot for pointing these documents to me, that will save us quite some dev time:)

Roberto Oneto

Jun 15, 2021, 3:42:25 AM6/15/21
to Chromium Extensions, thus...@gmail.com, Simeon Vincent, Chromium Extensions, Roberto Oneto
Hi @Simeon,
Did I give a bad tip?  I had never noticed this api management method (getPermissionWarningsByManifest) but it seems to me that it does its job well.
Why are you saying you have linked the wrong page?