Pre-release with ExtensionManifestV2Availability support

Matt

Apr 19, 2024, 4:29:12 AMApr 19
to Chromium Extensions
Hi all

First-off, I imagine there are a few here who work on the Chromium browser so I just want to say I love it :)

I have a question about whether there will be a pre-release we can get our hands on where we can test the ExtensionManifestV2Availability setting before having to wait for the cut off date?

Being able to test it is quite important for me as we have a lot of customers who use our extension and we're only a small outfit of 4, with a huge codebase to rewrite.

As you can imagine, it took us years to write our MV2 extension and we are only around halfway through writing our MV3 extension, so we need to be sure that when the cut off date comes around, we can continue to support our MV2 extension, making it paramount that we can test prior to the cut off date that the ExtensionManifestV2Availability setting will work how we expect it to.

So my question is will there be a pre-release, canary etc. with ExtensionManifestV2Availability support, or even better will there be partial support for testing this setting in an earlier release, and if so is there any date in mind for when we can get our hands on it so we can test?

Thanks,
Matt

Patrick Kettner

Apr 19, 2024, 5:53:31 AMApr 19
to Matt, Chromium Extensions
Hi Matt!

ExtensionManifestV2Availability has shipped in Chrome since version 110, you can test it today.

Really happy to hear you love Chromium 🥰

Patrick

Matt

Apr 19, 2024, 6:10:55 AMApr 19
to Chromium Extensions, Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions, Matt
Hi Patrick,

Appreciate the the speedy response.

So just to confirm then, does this mean that when MV2 support is dropped (excluding enterprise), the default value for this setting will simply be changed, and to turn on support for MV2 after this time for enterprise we simply need to change this setting to allow customers who we still need to support in terms of migrating them from MV2 to MV3 to continue to use their MV2 extension during this period by having the value for this setting being set to 2.

Also, will the ExtensionManifestV2Availability setting change name, or anything like that when MV2 support is dropped, and is there anything else we should be considering, as we will need to relay this information back to our clients where they have an IT team in place.

Thanks,
Matt

Patrick Kettner

Apr 19, 2024, 6:23:27 AMApr 19
to Matt, Chromium Extensions
Hey Matt!

> So just to confirm then, does this mean that when MV2 support is dropped (excluding enterprise), the default value for this setting will simply be changed

Not quite - technically no, but in spirit yes. This is a value that is only used for enterprise policy. In a few weeks, we will begin disabling MV2 for some users. This policy is able to be configured to prevent a user from being in a group that has their MV2 extensions disabled.

> Also, will the ExtensionManifestV2Availability setting change name

nope!

best
patrick

Matt

Apr 19, 2024, 6:50:06 AMApr 19
to Chromium Extensions, Patrick Kettner, Chromium Extensions, Matt
Hi Patrick

Perfect, thanks, I will give it a test today then. Thanks for the information.

Thanks,
Matt